Amateur Radio Operator. A person registered with the FCC to operate a Ham Radio on specific frequencies. There are different classes of Ham licenses, the least of which does not require you to learn morse code anymore.

In the Bible, Ham was one of Noah's three sons, the brother of Shem and Japheth, and father of Canaan. He is described as helping Noah to build the ark, but after the Flood his son Canaan is cursed by God for Ham's apparent sin ofl having seen "the nakedness of his father". This curse may be an attempt to explain the later subjugation of the Canaanites to Israel as resulting from Canaanite sexual perversion.

A pinkish meat usually obtained from the thighs of pigs. This tasty, and normally salty, substance has been used in wonderful dishes around the world, ranging from Chicken Cordon Bleu to the ever present "Baked Ham". A popular favorite associated with many holidays including Christmas, Thanksgiving, and especially Easter, in what many believe to be a feeble attempt by some of the earlier, more mysoginistic Christians to make the holiday non-kosher.

Ham was the name of America's first astronaut.

Ham was a male chimpanzee, 44 months old when he made his historic flight aboard the Mercury-Redstone 2 mission. The flight was launched at 11:55 am on January 31, 1961 from Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Despite some technical difficulties, this mission validated the design of the Mercury space capsule and the Mercury-Redstone launch configuration. The suborbital flight took place aboard the Mercury capsule No. 5 and was launched atop a modified U.S. Army Tactial Redstone ballistic missile.

During the flight, there were several technical problems, which caused the the rocket to overaccelerate, reaching a speed of 5,857 miles per hour, rather than the planned 4,400 miles per hour. This resulted in an apogee of 157 miles rather than the 115 miles originally planned. At this point, the capsule was already 48 miles farther downrange than programmed, and Ham endured the weightless state for 1.7 minutes longer (6.6 minutes total) than the 4.9 minutes scheduled. He landed 422 miles downrange after a 16.5-minute flight; the preplanned figures called for 290 miles and 14.25 minutes. His peak reentry g was 14.7, almost 3gs greater than planned

The nearest recovery ship was the destroyer USS Ellison, about 60 miles away. The Navy helicopter dispatched to the scene found the capsule taking on water due to cracks in the hull and an open pressure valve. After taking on 800 pounds of seawater, the helicopter crew finally managed to extract the craft from the water and bring it back to the ship.

Despite this potentially harrowing experience, Ham handled the trip very well, and was none the worse for wear after exiting the capsule. Despite a loss of cabin pressure during the trip, his flight suit performed perfectly and maintained good pressure and temperature. During the flight, Ham needed to perform a repetitive lever-pulling task. A warning light indicated that Ham would be subjected to an electric shock, prompting Ham to pull the lever, delaying the shock for 15 seconds. Ham successfully pulled the lever 50 times during the mission, receiving a shock only twice. Thus Ham not only proved that a space flight was at least possible, but also that a chimpanzee could function as an astronaut just as well as any human subject. America's first human in space, Alan Shepard, took his own flight in Freedom 7 atop Mercury-Redstone 3 on May 5, 1961.

The chimpanzee was named Ham in honor of the Holloman Aerospace Medical Center, the New Mexico facility where the chimpanzees trained and lived.

A "Ham" is also a person who is too caught up in his jokes. He is a comic, and lets people know it. Most of the time, hams don't notice people are upset at their scene- hogging, loudmouthed joking, which sometimes isn't even funny. When combined with wit, they're very fun to be round.

Note not all hams are insensitive- some genuinely notice people and laws and rules, and try to comfort them if upset, or stay quiet in libraries- but they will, undoubtedly, end up trying to cheer them up with a joke.

Don't think they're bad people- they just enjoy entertaining people too much. they try their best to get a laugh, and tend to be found in groups, feeding off of each other.

Xander from Buffy is a bit of a ham, it must be said, but not a bad one.

If you know me, please ignore the awful hypocrisy in this node.

Ham (?), n.

3. A non-spam email message that is blocked or filtered because it includes words or phrases that normally accompany spam emails.

Spam is fake ham, the aftorementioned messages are "real", they have become known as ham.

Ham (?), n.

Home.

[North of Eng.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ham (?), n. [AS. ham; akin to D. ham, dial. G. hamme, OHG. hamma. Perh. named from the bend at the ham, and akin to E. chamber. Cf. Gammon ham.]

1. Anat.

The region back of the knee joint; the popliteal space; the hock.

2.

The thigh of any animal; especially, the thigh of a hog cured by salting and smoking.

A plentiful lack of wit, together with most weak ham. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.