Born June 6, 1954 in Bensonhurst, N.Y., Harvey Fierstein is best known for his play/ book/ movie “Torch Song Trilogy”. The award-winning playwright, actor, and gay rights activist won two Tony Awards in 1983; one for writing, and the other for acting in, "Torch Song Trilogy". He also won a Tony for his book of the musical “La Cage Aux Folles”.

Fierstein began performing as a drag queen in Manhattan clubs in the late 1960's/early 1970’s, and much of “Torch Song Trilogy” is autobiographical in nature. He later adapted the book for the silver screen, reprising his lead role in a cast which included Ann Bancroft as his mother and Matthew Broderick as one of his lovers.

Fierstein has appeared in over 70 stage productions, beginning in 1971 in Andy Warhol’s only play, “Pork”. In 1992, he received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his work on “Cheers”, playing Rebecca’s first love, Mark Newberger. His distinctive, gruff voice (described in New York Newsday as “that Brillo-and-bourbon growl”) was featured on an episode of The Simpsons, where he played Homer’s executive secretary. He can also be heard as Yao in Disney’s Mulan and as the narrator of the Academy Award-winning documentary, “The Times of Harvey Milk”.

In 2000, Fierstein (pronounced Fire-steen) won the Humanitas Prize in the Children’s Animation category for the “Sissy Duckling” episode of “Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child”. In 1994 he won a GLAAD award for visibility. He has won a plethora of other awards including the OBIE, and recognition from Theater World, Oppenheimer, Drama Desk, Dramatists Guild Hall/Warriner, and the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle. He has also been honored with a plaque on Brooklyn’s “Walk of Fame”.

Fierstein has recently released “This is Not Going To Be Pretty”, a performance album which contains stand-up comedy, dramatic monologues, and music. It is available from Plump Records (http://www.plump.com).

Other Plays written by Harvey Fierstein:
Safe Sex
Spook House
Forget Him

Film appearances (up to 2002):
Death to Smoochy (2002)
Playing Mona Lisa (2000)
Common Ground (1999)
Double Platinum (1999)
Mulan (1998)
Safe Men (1998)
Kull the Conqueror (1997)
Independence Day (1996)
Sesame Street—Elmo Saves Christmas (1996)
Everything Relative (1996)
Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde (1995)
Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Harvest (1993)
Uma Baba Quase Perfeita (1993)
Tidy Endings (1989)
Torch Song Trilogy (1988)
Apology (1986)
Garbo Talks (1984)

On T.V.:

Guest appearances on:


Sources: www.E!online.com, www.plump.com, and www.hollywood.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.