Hasanni Jamil Campbell was born September 24, 2003; missing August 10, 2009.

Hasanni had cerebral palsy, was small for his age, and wore leg braces which are variously described in the reports. His intelligence may have been affected by his condition. What is certain is that his mobility was somewhat compromised. Some of his teachers came forward to say that he was a sweet little guy, though.

On August 10, 2009 his foster father Louis Ross said that he left Hasanni outsize the back door of a shop in the Rockridge district of Oakland, California, next to (or, he later said, inside) his vehicle while he took Hasanni’s one-year-old sister into the shop to his fiancée Jennifer Campbell (who was the children’s aunt and foster mother). According to Ross, when he went back to get Hasanni the child was gone. Jennifer at that time was pregnant with Ross’s child.

No one could recall seeing the child outside the shop (which is in a busy, prosperous shopping area) and the dogs who were later brought in could detect no sign of him. It was later determined that the last time anyone but his foster parents had seen Hasanni was several days earlier. The neighbors of the family had not seen the child for several weeks. Ross took a lie detector test, which he failed; Campbell refused to take one because of her pregnancy. It developed that Ross had threatened at one point to abandon Hasanni.

The foster parents were arrested on suspicion of murder on August 28, but were later released for lack of evidence. It now appears that they have separated, and that both have left California. They have shown little interest in the continuing search for Hasanni. Most authorities are assuming that Hasanni is deceased, but extensive searches by volunteers have failed to locate his small remains.

The only people who know what happened to this small child are those who are responsible. Perhaps they are the only ones who will ever know. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. But I can't imagine doing such a thing in the first place to someone so defenseless. Just don't expect me to understand.

RIP, Little Hasanni.


The best source known to me for information about missing persons is The Charley Project, http://www.charleyproject.org/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.