This is basically potatoes and cabbage, generally a stinky and boring kind of meal. But someone I know loves this kind of food. So I dressed it up a bit.

Baked Hasselbachs
Select potatoes of reasonably uniform size. Place a washed potato (skin on) between two chopsticks and slice from one end to the other, making cuts ¼ inch apart. The chopsticks will stop the knife from cutting all the way through the potato. Place the potaoes on a baking sheet oiled with a mixture of butter and extra virgin olive oil and coat them with the same mixture. Sprinkle with salt and crumbled rosemary. Bake until cooked through and golden-brown.

Crimson Tofu
Saute minced garlic and chopped red onion in extra virgin olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add enough water to make a sauce and add a large amount of hot Hungarian paprika to give the sauce a crimson hue. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper and towards the end of the cooking, add some lime juice and minced habanero or Scotch Bonnet chilies to taste (be brave, let the heat correspond to the colour). Cut cotton (firm) tofu into large triangles and place in a casserole dish. Pour the sauce over it and top with long slices of red onion. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cabbage au Daito
(It was Daito’s birthday and he loves cabbage). Slice a green or Savoy cabbage into large squares and simply boil in salted water until well cooked, but still firm. Drain, turn into a serving bowl and stir in lots of butter, salt and fresh pepper. A dusting of parmesan is nice as well.

Would you like to go to Vegetarian Meals That Aren't Just Brown Gack?

This year, stranded a continent away from my family I decided to cook christmass dinner for a few friends that were in a similar situation. One of them is a vegetarian and so I knew where to go to find inspiration for his part of the meal.

I chose this meal because another friend of mine told me that cabbage is seasonal for christmass.

When making the baked Hasselbachs I missread the instructions and skewered the potatoes with chop sticks, then I crved out fins, removed the chop sticks and bunged them in the oven. This part took the longest to cook, almost an Hour I think. They were delicious

The crimson Tofu had more of a mixed result, I am not sure if the spices that I used were in the right proportion, however the vegetarian said that it was really good. Perhaps I just have tofu issues.

The cabbage, simplicity, the first time that I have ever liked boiled cabbage, making sure that it is still crisp when you take it out of the water is very important. Mmmmm, butter, mmm.

Thank you Sensei

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.