Also a part of the NetHack Tourist's starting equipment, the Hawaiian shirt nicely complements the expensive camera as the ultimate in flashy and completely useless gear.

Anyone wearing a Hawaiian shirt is charged 33% more for merchandise in shops, and the shopkeeper offers 33% less if you are trying to sell. Tourists incur this penalty whether or not they are wearing their Hawaiian shirts.

The Hawaiian shirt bestows no Armor Class benefit whatsoever -- you may as well be buck naked. A cursed Hawaiian shirt will get you laughed right out of the Dungeons of Doom.

The Hawaiian shirt's origin comes from traditional 1940's native fashion. Originally, Hawaiian shirts were made of thick pale fabric with bright floral or geographical designs. The fabric was sewn into a shirt inside-out, so the design appeared faded (the test of an authentic hawaiian shirt is checking the vividness of the design from the inside and out. A real Hawaiian shirt will feature brighter design on the INSIDE of the shirt and more faded design on the outside.).

The collar was wide and open, the buttons were wooden or ivory and began at mid breastplate. The most popular designs (to this day) feature the Hawaii State flower, the Hibiscus.

Hawaiian shirts regained popularity in the late 90's and are once again being mass produced. Mainstream brands such as Roxy, Hurley, Anchor Blue, and Bugle Boy now have lines of Hawaiian shirts, or shirts with Hawaiian patterns. However, if you want authentic Hawaiian shirts, go to King St. in Honolulu. They'll surely outfit you, heole.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.