Also used to describe recruiters, often derisively. Head-hunters are hired by companies to fill vacancies in their staffing positions. A good head-hunter can negotiate a very lucrative deal for you to the benefit of everyone involved (you and the head-hunter because you get paid well, the company you work at becase they get an excellent worker.) A bad head-hunter does nothing but take money from you both without adding any value.

In my experience as a contractor, a head-hunter will get anywhere from 30-50% of my hourly wage (i.e. I'm paid $50/hour, they'll bill the company I work at at $75/hour.)

Until you've got a couple of jobs under your belt, head-hunters will be a Necessary Evil. Even then, large companies (the HPs, Ciscos and Suns of the world) will only hire you through an agency because they've got more money than time.

Head"-hunt`er (?), n.

A member of any tribe or race of savages who have the custom of decapitating human beings and preserving their heads as trophies. The Dyaks of Borneo are the most noted head-hunters.

<-- 2. (fig.) an executive personnel recruiter -->

-- Head"-hunt`ing, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.