A very cool (read expensive) set of watches from Timex. The top of the line WRKS model I have features: Features i-Control interface which is basically a twistable dial that allows you to view all the data stored in the watch as well as set certain variables such as your declination, altitude, and calibrate the Compass. Pretty cool and easy to use. It can also be locked with a sliding switch at the base of the watch so that you don't accidently bump it and switch modes.

The thermometer is very accurate if you leave the watch off for about 20 minutes, but it is consistently about 20 degrees too warm if you take temperature readings from your arm.

The compass is very accurate and useful for navigating in the brush or on the highway.

The barametric pressure readings are of limited value if you don't spend a lot of time outside since they are affected by artifical climate controls such as air conditioning. It will be very useful, however, on mountain bike and hiking trips; falling barometric pressure readings indicate an approcahing storm, rising readings indicate good upcoming weather. Also cool - the watch will indicate the difference between the last two hours of barametric pressure and you can recall what the readings were at 12:00 am, 4:00 am, 8:00 am, 12:00 pm, 4:00 om and 8:00 pm. You can get a good sense of what the weather will be like in the near future, if you're outside.

The altimeter/chronometer is useful if you want to see how fast or slow you are climbing or descending. You can specify the interval between recordings. It goes from 15 seconds all the way up to 8 minutes.

Slow data collection rates are good for hiking, while fast ones are good for snowboarding, etc. This model is waterproof to 50 meters, but they also make a diving version. I'm not exactly sure what differences there are, besides the ability to submerge the watch in deeper water. The other things (chronometer, timer, and alarm) are all pretty standard and very useful.

It will probably be a bit bulky if you have small arms or you're a woman, but I wear it all the time and find it pretty comfortable. I'm an average sized male.

Overall, the ultimate geek watch! I paid $140.00 for mine from the Timex website.

Helix is also the name of a project started by RealNetworks. Under this project, in October 2002 RealNetworks released source code and standardized APIs to facilitate the use of digital media technology. It tries to provide one framework for all digital media needs, such as streaming media, both audio and video.

The source code supplied by RealNetworks will be the code for:

  • a playback application (Helix DNA Client)
  • a media server (Helix DNA Server)
  • an encoding program (Helix DNA Producer).
In October 2002, code for the client has been released.

The source code is offered under either the RealNetworks Public Source License (RPSL), which has been submitted to the Open Source Initiative for certification, or under a more business-like license, the RealNetworks Community Source License (RCSL).

Further information can be found at http://www.helixcommunity.org

A helix is a basic roller coaster element that is easily identifiable visually but tricky to convey in words. The basic concept is the roller coaster train will either ascend or descend while simultaneously turning in a 360 degree manner or greater (spiraling as it is sometimes called). A great analogy to aid in visualization of such a process is a descending helix is like water going down a drain. The train “spins” around while also going “down”. Another more coaster terminology related explanation would be a corkscrew shaped loop on a horizontal plane.

The most notable helixes are usually found on wooden roller coasters. American Eagle at Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) and the Beast at Paramount’s Kings Island (PKI), both have rather rough helixes. However, the helix nearing the end of the Beast is a great experience because it is rough. The helix on the Beast gives the sensation of almost flying off of the track whereas the helix on the American Eagle is due to too much speed and not enough banking (see note on American Eagle).
The ridge of the ear that runs from the back edge around, over the top, to inside the outer ear, where it becomes the daith. The traditional "cartilage" ear piercing is actually just below the helix, where the cartilage thins out a bit. A true helix piercing goes out radially in the plane of most of the ear, as opposed to the more traditional percing in that area which is roughly perpendicular to the upper conch.

If a left ear looks something like this, the helix is the part linked or bold:

 ____
/ _  \
\_ \  |
 \  | |
 / _/ |
     /
 \__/

When a companion tunnel to the Holland was proposed in 1930 to connect New Jersey with the island of Manhattan, the major problem wasn't where to build the entrance (Weehawken made the most sense for a variety of reasons) so much as it was how to get cars into it - Weehawken is built predominantly at the top of a series of granite cliffs several hundred feet high, while the tunnel entrance had to be close to sea level. The Helix is the answer.

Built simultaneously with the first of the Lincoln Tunnel's three tunnels, The Helix is a 6-lane highway that gracefully turns 360-degrees (though it doesn't look like it) while dropping from the Weehawken heights to the tunnel entrance. It's a massive wrought iron and concrete structure that hasn't changed all that much since its completion in 1937.

The thing that most people notice while traveling the Helix is the view, and what a view it is. As the road starts its descent, a wall of rough-hewn granite rises on the roadway's left-hand side and suddenly disappears to reveal a view of the Hudson River and the skyscrapers of Manhattan beyond. It's such an inspiring scene (and such a relief to commuters that it is routinely called the only good thing about their drive to work) that the view from the helix is protected as a landmark to prevent any new construction from obscuring the view.

He"lix (?), n.; pl. L. Helices (#), E. Helixes (#). [L. helix, Gr. , , fr. to turn round; cf. L. volvere, and E. volute, voluble.]

1. Geom.

A nonplane curve whose tangents are all equally inclined to a given plane. The common helix is the curve formed by the thread of the ordinary screw. It is distinguished from the spiral, all the convolutions of which are in the plane.

2. Arch.

A caulicule or little volute under the abacus of the Corinthian capital.

3. Anat.

The incurved margin or rim of the external ear. See Illust. of Ear.

4. Zool.

A genus of land snails, including a large number of species.

⇒ The genus originally included nearly all shells, but is now greatly restricted. See Snail, Pulmonifera.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.