What is it?

Created by Vivienne "VivziePop" Medrano and produced by her independent animation studio, SpindleHorse Toons, Helluva Boss is a comedy animated webseries following a cast of demons in Hell as they try to run an assassination business. Don't be fooled by the bright colors and really well done animation; it is an adult animated series, with lots of sex jokes, violence, and relationship issues.

The series so far consists of seven episodes and a pilot, with episode eight, the season one finale, to be aired sometime in January-- probably. Due to the small team, episodes have a fairly long wait time between them. Season two has been greenlit and is stated to start airing sometime late 2022.

The first season is currently available on Medrano's youtube channel. Episodes only range from 10-20 minutes long, so I highly recommend checking them out.

Notably, this series takes place in the same universe as Medrano's other work, Hazbin Hotel. Only the pilot episode of Hazbin Hotel is available (also on Medrano's channel), as it was picked up by A24 and will supposedly be released as a full television series.

What's it about?

The Hell-born imp Blitzo (pronounced Blitz) is the proprietor of the Immediate Murder Professionals, or I.M.P, an assassination business that is unique not only for being run by imps-- which are the lowest class in Hell's hierarchy, who usually aren't able to start their own businesses-- but also because I.M.P. does things other mercs in Hell can't: target still-living humans back on Earth.

Hell is divided into seven sections called "rings." When mortal sinners die, they get stuck in Hell's Ring of Pride. Often times, they die with a grudge, deserved or not, and so with the use of a magical grimoire borrowed from the Goetia demon, Prince Stolas, the I.M.P. crew is able to teleport to the living world and kill whoever they're paid to kill.

Working with Blitzo are his two fellow imp employees, Moxxie (who is voiced by Invader Zim of all people) and Millie, as well as Blitzo's adopted, teenage, hellhound daughter, Loona. Moxxie is the team nerd and sharpshooter, while his wife Millie is the melee expert, and the two are head-over-heels in love with one another.

The other recurring character in Blitzo's life is the aforementioned demon prince, Stolas Goetia, who is some kind of owl looking demon, and is thirsty as fuck. Blitzo initially met Stolas as a one-night stand in order to steal Stolas' grimoire, but now Stolas won't leave him alone. This gets awkward, as Stolas is a literal prince of Hell and also married and has a kid. His DTF attitude is usually played for laughs, until it suddenly isn't.

The first few episodes focus on Blitzo and company pulling off their jobs and introducing the viewers to the workings of Hell's society, as well as introducing characters relevant to Blitzo's past (like his ex girlfriend and current superstar, Verosika Mayday, or his ex-friend, Fizzarolli) while the later ones focus on building antagonists (like Stolas' wife, Stella, and the assassin Name Redacted, who is played by Norman Reedus), and the interpersonal relationships between the characters, with a special focus on Blitzo's inability to let people get close to him without pushing them away-- all following the time honored tradition of a comedy animated series starting off light and funny, and gradually becoming Too Fuckin Real as the series progresses.

10/10 would recommend.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.