Note to all readers. This is an original adventure module designed for the Dungeons and Dragons game. This module is compliant with all Open Gaming License and D20 SRD regulations. If this sort of thing doesn’t interest you then you might want to click here.

This adventure is designed for game masters who run light hearted games, and is not intended for more serious campaigns. This adventure is best suited for first level characters, although characters as high as 4th level can play it with no problems, although having higher level characters will completely change the feel of the last half of the adventure.

 

Here on Fibber Island

GM Background: This adventure is set on Fibber Island where the characters have recently arrived with the goal of taking a much needed holiday, seeing the sights, eating at Alvin's World Famous Hot Dog and Pie Haven, and perhaps going hunting in the famous wildlife preserve, if of course they are able to get hunting passes, which may prove to be difficult in the busy season.

Fibber Island is largely a resort island, with a smattering of hotels, eating establishments, a boat harbor, several beaches, and other tourist type attractions. Think of it as similar to Hawaii. The island is officially owned and managed by the dwarves (who consider it part of their kingdom), but most of the population is human.

General Adventure Outline.

The general plot of this adventure is fairly simple, they come to the island in search of a vacation, check out a few of the sights, and eventually make their way into the safari zone with one of two different guides. There is also the possibility that the characters simply don't WANT to go into the Safari zone, in which case you should introduce the optional table wrestling tournament encounter instead. That option makes for a shorter adventure, but at least it makes for some sort of adventure. You should read the entire adventure beforehand and familiarize yourself with the locations in the module, feel free to make up more locations as needed, and to reward things such as gathering information with appropriate information. No map is needed for this adventure, details as to what the island is shaped like, and how large it is are left up to the game master.

Text in BOLD is meant to be read aloud to the players.

Encounter 1. Landfall.

Ah, you are finally here, the world famous Fibber Island, you can't wait to relax on the beach with a fruity drink, perhaps eat at Alvin's World Famous Hot Dog and Pie Haven, and maybe, just maybe venture into the Safari Zone to hunt the really big game. As you make your way down the gangplank onto the beach you are greeted by native women (wearing nothing but grey body paint) waving at you, while several donkey carts await, each carrying a driver and bearing the sign of a different hotel. The drivers call out at you, listing their various amenities and asking you to climb aboard.

The native women themselves are not actual native women, they are simply locals who work for the various hotels, if the players interact with them they attempt to steer the players in the onto the cart of the hotel they work for. The various hotels are all pretty much the same and the GM can feel free to make up their names. Amenities they might have include hot springs piped in, bicycle track, full fruit bar, authentic native "massage", hairstylists, souvenir towels, and cat racing. The GM is responsible for handling any action that might go on at the hotel.

From the hotel and initial encounter you can attempt to steer the characters to the various listed encounters, although none of them are particularly important. They will probably seek out the safari zone on their own. Below is a quick table of information you can work into the conversation with various NPCs.

1. Most people sell dead animals from the Safari Zone to Jason Landrew at the Safari Hut.

2. Katie over at the Hot Dog and Pie Haven is really something to look at.

3. Spock's exports is the best (and only) place on the island to sell live animals of all varieties.

4. Alvin's has wrestling matches from time to time.

5. The Dwarves at the gate into the Safari Zone collect taxes on everything brought out, and cannot be easily bribed.

6. The Leaky Mug Inn is the best place to procure a guide into the Safari Zone.

7. It is said that Merrick Stonecutter (a local dwarf), captured a live T-Rex last month in the Safari Zone and it was shipped out to an unnamed purchaser, rumored to be an Orcish king.

8. The Safari guide Rancid Overthrow has gone out with full hunting parties on more than one occasion only to come back completely alone.

9. Most hunters used ranged weapons, those that attempt to capture animals alive usually soften them up with arrows and then run in and beat them with saps.

Encounter 2. Alvin's Hot Dog and Pie Haven.

Ah, some of you might have been waiting for this place, hot dogs and pies served in a large swimming pool where you swim up to your table and a beautiful waitress serves you hot dogs, pies, and fruity drinks. A man of about 30 years old with tan skin, dreadlocks and a large stain on his shirt waives you over and tells you to sit down, from what you have heard you would say that is Alvin.

Alvin’s Hot Dog and Pie Haven is one of the most popular restaurants on the island, it is located in the Southern Bay area. The entire seating area is located in a swimming pool. You swim up to your tables, where the waiters serve hot dogs, pie, and fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them. They open each evening at around 6 PM, and are usually open late into the night.

Most of the restaurant itself is absolutely ancient, the main pool area and tables were already present when the island was first developed 50 years ago. The restaurant building proper is a much more recent structure, built in standard Hawaiian style.

Alvin is a human in his mid 30s, his life dream was to own a hot dog and pie restaurant on Fibber island. Of course Alvin was never much of a worker, and wasn't particularly intelligent or motivated, but then he hit it big at the roulette table, and used his proceeds to open his restaurant.

Alvin has no character class. He is 35 and of mixed African and European heritage. Alvin is mostly a slob, but is very personable. He spends much of his time eating pie and hot dogs with his customers. Hot dogs and pie are his passion though, and he gets up at the crack of noon every day in order to start baking pies.

The price is one gold piece, and everyone pays before anything is served. Alvin himself prepares the food, and his waitress Katie does most of the serving. You don't actually select anything from the menu, Katie (or Alvin) will just carry trays of hot dogs and pies to each table. Beverages consist of fruity drinks with umbrella's. They are all basically the same drink (rum and water), but they look quite different and have different kinds of fruit in them.

Katie is an attentive server, she keeps the pie trays full, the hot dog plates full, and makes sure everyone has a drink in their hand at all times. She deftly dodges unwanted attention from the assorted drunk patrons, and his pretty much what keeps the place running. She is unrelated to Alvin, having run away from home at a very young age, she is currently 17 and has been Alvin's only waitress for 3 years. Alvin thinks of her as a daughter, but that doesn't stop him from making lots of suggestive comments to her.

Alvin talks about jousting ALL THE TIME and is overall friendly.

Encounter 3.

The Safari hut appears to be a complex of small buildings all centered around a larger one. The smell of tanning hides and butchered animals is quite strong.

The Safari Hut is run by a well muscled old human named Jason Landrew. It is a 100' long hut with a grass roof and is open on both ends. The place has a very strong smell. There are over a dozen smaller round huts in the complex

The hut is located a mere 50 yards from the gate to the hunting grounds. The hut is the official sale place for all meat and game, and is also the only taxidermist on the island.

Landrew's charter specifies his establishment as the ONLY place authorized to purchase dead game animals brought out of the hunting areas. Preparing your own animals is perfectly legal, and selling the meat you prepared yourself is also perfectly legal, but no one but Landrew can purchase the unprepared animals.

There is a fixed price paid for each type of animal, Landrew purchases all types of game animals other than humanoids. Taxidermy services are also available at a cost of 5 GP per hit dice.

Here is a quick price list of animals the characters may possibly bring back on this adventure and the price in gold that Landrew is willing to pay for them.

ANIMAL PRICE

Large Viper 200

Dire Bat 200

Monitor Lizard 200

Crocodile 200

Lion 300

Deinonychus 300

Tiger 400

Rhino 400

Tiger 400

Dire Lion 500

Elephant 700

Dire Bear 700

Encounter 4. Spock's Exports

A short way from the Safari hut lies Spock's exports. A similar large hut with grass roof is ringed by dozens of cages of various sizes.

Spock is around 50 years old, and is a shrewd bargainer. What he buys is live animals, his prices are not fixed, but must be negotiated every time, and according to him the animals are always undersized, low quality, obviously sterile, and otherwise defective.

The hut itself is FULL of food for the various animals.

Spock's cargo ship leaves once per month for the mainland. He will NOT keep more than a full shipload of animals on hand at one time. He will refuse all animals once he has a shipload, unless he is offered a highly valuable predator, female elephant, or dinosaur. All of Spock's current inventory is already under contract, but he may have animals for sale in later adventures.

Spock is a 9th level Ranger and his relevant skill totals for any encounters include bluff +5, diplomacy +6, intimidate +12, and appraise +10.

Here is a quick list animals that might be brought to Spock, along with maximum purchase prices, which must of course be negotiated using bluff, diplomacy, intimidate or appraise. The DM should use opposed rolls and use their best judgment as to the prices. Animals that have large amounts of lethal damage done to them are not as valuable as animals captured using nonlethal damage.

Animal Price

Large Viper 800

Dire Bat 800

Monitor Lizard 800

Crocodile 800

Lion 1200

Deinonychus 1200

Tiger 1600

Rhino 1600

Tiger 1600

Dire Lion 2000

Elephant 2800

Dire Bear 2800

 

Encounter 6: The Leaky Mug

The Leaky Mug Inn and Tavern is located about a mile from the northern gate, it is the well known hangout of all the assorted Safari guides. The bartender and proprietor's name is Gorf, a middle aged dwarf, and to hear him talk in his past he drank every mug, romanced every woman, and defeated every monster.

In reality Gorf is completely talk, and has only even been into the Safari zone a few times, and has never been an adventurer. He is also all talk when it comes to women as well. He is (however) quite the brawler, and is 3rd level and specialized in unarmed combat. He is however quick to forgive, once a fight is completed he will bear no ill will. Gorf has only just recently become a licensed safari guide and has yet to lead an actual expedition into the safari zone.

There are normally half a dozen safari guides who hang out at the tavern, along with a dozen spear bearers. They have an agreement amongst them that they take turns with customers who don't ask for or request a specific guide. The standard price for a guide is 10 GP per day for a group of 4, plus 2 GP for each additional person led, plus 2 GP per spear bearer. The guides are generally always the same half dozen guys, but the spear bearers change all the time, it is one of those jobs that various island men tend to do for short periods of time when they need money. At the moment the only two Safari guides available are Gorf himself and Rancid Overthrow.

Guides lead hunting, mapping, and exploration expeditions and are expected to fight and help in hunting. Spearmen carry spears (sometimes other weapons), they are NOT considered to be combatants, but they will fight in defense. Their real job is to carry out treasure and animals from the safari zone. Most are human, but other races are also represented (but no elves, there are no native elves on the entire island).

Rancid Overthrow.

Depending on who you talk to you might hear that Rancid is the best and mightiest of the guides, or that he is completely insane. Both are true to some extent. Rancid is an old dwarf, his right hand is a hook, his left leg is a peg and he is missing one ear. Most of the time he rides on the back of an Ogre (named Ogre), who is apparently mute. Ogre wears a special harness to carry Rancid around. Rancid's movement rate is only 2 without his Ogre because of the peg leg. Rumors are true on all counts, Rancid is the mightiest guide, but also goes after the biggest beasts, the most dangerous dungeons, and generally after things that are far more than his clients might want. He is also quite insane, at least in his total fearlessness.

Stats.

GORF: Dwarf Ex-Monk 1 / Fighter 2

CG Medium Humanoid

Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., Listen -1, Spot -1

Languages Common, Dwarven

AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10

hp 35

Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +1

Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)

Melee unarmed +6 1d6+3

Melee flurry +4/+4 1d6+3

Base Atk +2; Grp +9

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Weapon focus unarmed strike, improved initiative, acrobatic, and toughness,

Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 12

Skills Jump +11, Tumble +10, Balance +6

Possessions: Whip (not proficient), backpack, 30 gold pieces and light crossbow with 1 quarrel, which he will auto miss with.

Rancid Overthrow: Dwarf Ranger 8

CN Medium Humanoid

Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., Listen +14, Spot +14

Languages Common, Dwarven, Elven, Orcish

AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15

hp 35

Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5

Speed 10 ft. (2 squares)

Composite longbow +12/+7 1d8+5

Composite longbow rapid shot +10/+10/+5 1d8+5

Base Atk +8; Grp +12

Feats: Track, point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot, manyshot, leadership.

Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 6

Skills: Handle animal +9, knowledge geography +13, knowledge nature +15, Listen +14, spot +14, ride + 15, search +13, Survival +18

Spells: Charm Animal, Hide From Animals, and Snare.

Possessions: Belt of Giant STR +4, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Composite Longbow +1, Chain shirt +1, potion of cure light wounds.

 

Spear Bearers - Warriors level 1

N Medium Humanoids

Init +0; Listen +0, Spot +0

Languages Common

AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10

hp 10

Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)

Longspear +1 1d8

Base Atk +1; Grp +1

Feats: Varied, usually noncombat

Abilities: consider all to be 10.

Skills: All skills considered to be +0

Possessions: Longspear, backpack, litter and rope.

Male Ogre

NE Large Giant

Init 0; Senses low-light and darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +1, Spot +3

Languages Common, Giant

AC 17, touch 9, flat-footed 17

hp 40 (4HD)

Fort +8 Ref +1 Will +2

Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)

Melee +1 club +11 (1d8+9)

Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Base Atk +3; Grp +15

Abilities Str 27, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 7

SQ low-light and darkvision 60 ft.

Feats Combat Reflexes, Endurance

Skills Climb +13 (+5 ranks, +8 str), Spot +3 (+2 ranks, +1 wis).

Possessions +1 leather, +1 club, 12 gp, 16 sp, 13 cp.

 

Encounter 8: The Northern Gate.

The northern gate is the only entrance in the 100 foot high wall into the hunting and adventuring areas of Fibber Island. The gate is staffed by 4 dwarven guards. The guards take entry fees into the adventuring areas, and take taxes for people exiting.

Single day entry fees during the off season are 1 gold piece. 10 gold pieces buys a 1 month pass, 25 gold pieces buys an annual pass, and 250 gold pieces buys a lifetime pass. Passes can only be purchased during the off season, during the summer vacation months passes are only available from the licensed tour guides who always buy up all the passes well in advance and use them as part of their tour packages. Annual and lifetime passes can only be purchased on the first day of the year, where there are only a certain number of them available. It is currently mid-summer and all available hunting passes are currently in the hands of assorted Safari guides.

Characters exiting the Safari Zone must pay taxes on all valuables that they carry.

Coins are taxed at a rate of 10 percent. Gems are taxed at a rate of 1 copper piece per gem, and other valuables are taxed at a rate of 1 copper piece per item. Animals smaller than dwarves (dead or alive) are taxed at 1 CP each, animals up to horse size are taxed at 1 SP each, and animals larger than horse size are taxed at 1 GP each.

Characters may check any valuables they wish with the guards, who are highly honest and will not steal them. Most characters check their coins and gems because all coins and gems coming OUT of the Safari zone are taxed. Other valuables may be checked, or simply inventoried.

The wall itself is regularly patrolled by Dwarven guards, who check for treasure tossed over the walls to avoid taxes.

 

Encounter 9: The Safari.

The Jungle is lush with a high canopy, movement is pretty easy, although visibility seems to be limited to about 50 feet in most situations. Your guide seems rather competent and leads you on your way.

This section of the module is rather free form and uses an encounter table, the exact table depends on the guide the character selected. Feel free to invent the terrain as needed for each encounter. After the party encounters a total of 10 CR worth of animals it will begin getting dark and the guide will lead them back to the gate, as the jungle is too dangerous to be in at night. All creatures can be found in the Monster Manual ™ or the D20 SRD.

This part of the module is not about how awesome the NPC guide is, this part of the module is about the characters getting stranded with an incompetent guide, or getting in way over their heads with a guide who doesn’t really care if he lives or dies.

One note, Rancid Overthrow is a very competent guide, while Gorf knows absolutely nothing about the jungle at all, and has no skills relating to guiding whatsoever.

Table 1. Use this table if the party is being guided by Rancid Overthrow. Rancid will automatically spot all of these animals before they spot the party, negating possible surprise. He will urge the party into any and all encounters. He himself will stay back from melee combat and simply fire his bow. Characters led by Rancid gain surprise on all animals unless they are particularly noisy. The CR 5 animals on this table will flee if knocked down to less than 10 hit points, while the CR 7 animals will flee if knocked down to less than 20 hit points. Fleeing animals that are pursued will fight to the death.

1. Lion CR 3

2. Rhino CR 4

3. Human remains from a previous hunting party, a masterwork composite longbow str bonus +3 can be salvaged.

4. Tiger CR 4

5. Dire Lion CR 5

6. 2 Deinonychus CR 5

7. Elephant CR 7

8. Dire Bear CR 7

Table 2. Use this table if the characters are being led by Gorf, or if they find themselves without a guide at all. Roll iniative normally with no surprise for these encounters. Gorf will always recommend fleeing from all encounters, and will run himself with his first action for any encounter higher than CR 2. The first time Gorf flees he can be caught and convinced to continue on, the second time he runs, he will go all the way back to the gates.

1. Large Viper CR 2

2. Dire Bat CR 2

3. Monitor Lizard CR 2

4. Crocodile CR 2

5. Very large tracks of some multi-ton beast (predator dinosaur), Gorf will misidentify these as elephant tracks, a successful track check will prove him wrong.

6. Lion CR 3 (Gorf flees)

7. Deinonychus CR 3 (Gorf flees).

8. Tiger CR 4 (Gorf flees)

 

Optional Encounter:

Characters unwilling to go into the Safari Zone can hear about a wrestling contest held at Alvin's Hot Dog and Pie Haven, with a big prize of 50 GP for the winner. There will be at least as many NPC wrestlers as PCs entering. NPC wrestlers with have grapple checks of 0-7 (1d8-1), and contests will be simple wrestling until one character is knocked out. Winning characters advance to the next round WITHOUT any healing. Last character standing wins.

Please note that the wrestling contest is only for characters who do not enter the Safari Zone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.