British Invasion pop band, best known for slightly silly songs such as "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" and "I'm Henry the Eighth (I Am)", the latter an old music-hall tune.

They were formed in April 1964 in Manchester. The founding members were Peter Noone, Barry Whitwam, Karl Green, Keith Hopwood, Derek Leckenby, and it was Noone who was nicknamed Herman, which came from Sherman in the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Noone left in 1971, but the group are apparently still going, under the name of The Hermits, and drummer Whitwam (The Bean) is still with them.

Their singles up to 1971 were:

For one album, pick The Most of Herman's Hermits , as it contains most of their best tracks, including the excellently sentimental "The Most Beautiful Thing In My Life".

As I write, their next concert date is next Saturday, 17 March 2001, at Skegness Funcoast World. Then on following weeks it's Minehead, Great Yarmouth, the Butlins at Margate; they're in Germany in April-May and September-October, and in the USA in July-August. If you live in or near Skegness but can't make the first date they're back there on 26 October. They consider it sad that Peter Noone won't play places like Butlins because he thinks they're beneath him. Note to foreigners: the preceding paragraph is funny and sad.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.