In the novels of Arthur C. Clarke, the Chairman of the American National Council of Astronautics in 2001, at the time of the discovery of the monolith TMA-1. When the monolith was discovered, the American base on the moon, Clavius Base, was put under quarantine to keep the news from spreading, and Dr. Floyd flew to the moon in a very unusual one-man passenger flight (courtesy of Pan Am) to provide reassurance and get a first-hand look at the monolith. As a result of the transmission TMA-1 made when exposed to sunlight, and the fact that it was directed at Jupiter, the NCA approved the change of orders for the Discovery's expedition, which indirectly resulted in its presumed failure.

After the resultant scandal following the Jupiter expedition, Dr. Floyd resigned from the NCA and accepted a position as Chancellor at the University of Hawaii. He also remarried and had a son. (His previous marriage had ended when his wife died in an air disaster, and he had two grown daughters from that marriage.) Only after receiving a surprise visit from Dr. Dmitri Moisevitch, telling him of the impending Russian expedition to Jupiter and Discovery's decaying orbit, did Floyd become involved with the space program again. He persuaded NCA officials to allow three Americans, including himself, to join the crew of the Russian spacecraft Leonov in 2010 in an attempt to salvage Discovery and find out what happened on the mission nine years previously. Floyd was awakened from hibernation early in response to the discovery of the Chinese spacecraft Tsien and its mission, and subsequently received the final message of Professor Rupert Chang as he reported on Tsien's landing on Europa and subsequent destruction by one of the indigenous life-forms.

Floyd and his crewmates were able to successfully reactivate Discovery and its onboard computer, HAL 9000, and began investigating the larger monolith at the Lagrange point between Jupiter and Io. Floyd received an unusual message, relayed via HAL, from what appeared to be Discovery Mission Commander David Bowman, warning him that the crew had to leave weeks before the opening of their launch window. The disappearance of the monolith at roughly the same time was cause for concern, and led to a plan in which Discovery and its fuel would be used as a "first stage" to put Leonov into the right trajectory for Earth. They managed to do so just in time to avoid the cataclysmic explosion turning Jupiter into the star Lucifer, and returned to Earth.

Floyd returned to Earth in 2015, to find that his wife had become estranged and left him. A week after his return, he fell from a second-story balcony, and was treated at the Pasteur Space Hospital in Earth orbit. Thereafter, it became obvious that his body was so accustomed to living in low gravity conditions that he was forced to remain a resident of Pasteur. His son was to eventually perish in a shuttle accident, leaving behind one grandson.

Floyd remained on Pasteur until 2061, when he was invited by Sir Lawrence Tsung of Tsung Aerospace to join the maiden flight of Tsung's new spaceliner, Universe, as it traveled to Halley's Comet. During the mission, word was received that Universe's sister ship, Galaxy, had been forced to land on Europa, seemingly violating the directive given to humanity when Lucifer was created. This hit Floyd particulary hard, as his grandson was now Second Officer of Galaxy. Floyd, along with a Universe crew member, hit upon the idea of tapping the comet itself for the water needed to fill Universe's reaction mass tanks, allowing the ship to proceed directly to Europa for a rescue. Floyd also suggested that they send a radio message to Bowman on Europa, requesting permission to land. There was no reply, but Floyd was "visited" in his cabin by a smaller version of the monolith. After rescuing the Galaxy crew, Universe proceeded to Ganymede, where Floyd remained for a time with his grandson. We do not know of his fate beyond this point.

Source: Arthur C. Clarke: 2001: a space odyssey, 2010: odyssey two, 2061: odyssey three; movies 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.