A sitcom that ran on ABC and Nick at Nite in 1991 and 1992. The gimmick of the show was that the 50s' stereotypical situation comedy Hi Honey, I'm Home, having run in syndication for 35-or-so years, was finally cancelled, much to the chagrin of the show's biggest fan, Mike Duff (played by Peter Benson).

As Mike is dealing with his loss, a new family moves in next door to the Duffs. Surprise, surprise!, the new neighbours are the Nielsens, the characters in Hi Honey, I'm Home! The family, consisting of father Lloyd (Stephen Bradbury), mother Honey (Charlotte Booker), teenage daughter Babs (Julie Benz), and son Chucky (Danny Gura) were sent to live there by the Sitcom Relocation Program, as is the fate of all cancelled TV shows. To keep them feeling at home in the 90s, however, the Nielsens were given a remote control-like device which allowed them to turn their life into black-and-white, as they originally existed in. While they struggled to adapt to cancellation and modern life, Mike, along with his mother Elaine (Susan Cella) and younger brother Skunk (played by Eric Kushnick and later Backstreet Boy A. J. MacLean) teach them modern mores and values. They would also be visited by any out-of-work classic television star ABC and/or Nick at Nite could find (the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Al Lewis--but there was at least one guest star per episode).

The show originally ran as part of ABC's TGIF Friday night lineup in 1991, and was re-run the following Sunday on Nick At Nite, and was hence billed as "TV's first instant re-run" (ABC/Lifetime's Once and Again and NBC/Comedy Central's Last Comic Standing were more recent shows to do the same thing). It ran like this for six episodes in the summer of '91, then ABC ironically cancelled it, leaving it to run out its final seven episodes on Nick at Nite alone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.