Many aspects of Everything2 have changed over the years, and The Everything2 Voting/Experience System has undergone numerous revisions. Some view the evolving iterations of voting, levels, and experience as one of the site's historical markers. This document provides an overview of the ways that these features functioned during different time periods. You may refer to Everything2 Glossary for an explanation of terms used in this document.

The original experience and level system (1999-2000)

When E2 began, user levels were determined exclusively by experience points (XP), writeups could only be cooled/chinged once, and the first C! you received would give you 400 XP. In contrast, you could initially vote on the same writeup multiple times, but this was quickly changed to just one per voter. The experience and level system was a novel idea, designed to turn the posting of writeups into a competitive game. Unfortunately, it was too simplistic.

You could gain or lose XP in the following ways:

  • Posting a new writeup: +1 XP
  • Having a writeup removed with penalty: -5 XP (default)
  • Having a writeup removed without penalty: -1 XP
  • Receiving a C! on a writeup: +10 XP
  • Casting a vote had a 20% chance of earning +1 XP
  • Casting all your votes allotted per day earned +1 XP for every 2 votes cast (so for example, casting 50 votes yielded +25 XP)
  • Blessings from the e2gods: +10 XP standard, but could be any amount
    These came in the form of Golden Trinkets as rewards for participating in quests, etc.
  • Curses from the e2gods for bad behavior: -10 XP, -1 karma

It wasn't long before users found a way to game this system by casting all their votes randomly to receive the daily XP bonus and rise in levels more quickly. This practice became known as Vote Dumping, and defeated the purpose of the voting system. To help address the "leveling" problem, writeup count was added to the level requirements.

Experience and levels 2.0 (2000-2005)

Under the second incarnation of the voting and experience system, your level was determined by experience points combined with your writeup count. In July 2001 the C! feature was modified to allow multiple Chings on a writeup, reducing it to a sort of "super vote" and decreasing the amount of XP awarded with it from +10 to +3.

The level system 2000-2005:

Level Title XP req WU req Votes C!
1 Initiate 0 0 0 0
2 Novice 50 25 10 0
3 Acolyte 200 70 20 0
4 Scribe 400 150 30 1
5 Monk 800 250 45 1
6 Crafter 1,350 380 60 2
7 Artisan 2,100 515 75 2
8 Seer 2,900 700 90 3
9 Archivist 4,000 900 105 3
10 Avatar 7,500 1,215 125 4
11 Godhead 13,000 1,800 150 4
12 Pseudo_God 21,000 2,700 200 5
13 Pedant 38,000 4,500 300 5

In the very beginning there were just 11 levels, with nate as the only Level 11 user (hence its title "Godhead"), and requirements were thought to be so high that only nate would ever reach this level. However, Pseudo_Intellectual eventually surpassed the XP requirement for level 11, so two new levels had to be created. This explains why there were levels higher than a "Godhead" in the old system, as the titles of "Pseudo_God" and "Pedant" were invented specifically with P_I in mind.

The loss of XP via penalty writeup deletion and curses was eliminated in 2002. However, having a writeup deleted still resulted in losing the 1 XP earned when the writeup was created.

Experience and levels 2.5: The Honor Roll (2002-2008)

As the quality of writing on Everything2 steadily improved and required a larger effort and time investment from committed noders, it became clear that the 700 writeups necessary to receive an allotment of three daily Chings was an unreasonably high barrier. If someone published a writeup every three days, it would take them six years to reach the rank of "Seer". There were noders who were contributing incredibly high-quality content, but who obviously were being penalized by the high writeup count requirement. A consensus developed that there was more benefit to Everything2 for delivering thirty well-researched, well-received, 3,000-word masterpieces, than say, thirty descriptions of Magic: The Gathering collectible cards.

The solution to this problem would require some sophisticated maths, and Professor Pi led the Honor Roll project that began in October 2001 and was implemented in March 2002. An explanation of how this system worked is beyond the scope of this document, but the good professor explains it all himself in his Honor Roll writeup. This new leveling scheme was clever and seemed really cool at first, but it had a few unintended side-effects.

Despite tools to calculate your score for you (the Internet Archive has nine snapshots of Honor Roll and you), it became quite tricky to understand exactly what your level would be at any given point, and posting a new writeup (which started with a reputation of zero) could take your merit down enough to nudge you into a lower level-up factor, which might lead you to temporarily lose a level. This induced anxiety, was counterproductive, and could result in a disheartening experience.

To game the new system, some noders started culling their poorly-performing writeups in an effort to get ever-closer to the ideal 0.5 level-up factor. Many believed that the Honor Roll posed a genuine challenge and pushed everyone toward raising the bar of writing quality, but others felt that it took some of the irreverence and fun out of the game. This had the noticeable effect of causing some veteran noders to stop contributing new writeups.

Another unintended side-effect was that Honor Roll favored certain types of literary content over others. Poetry and fictional prose, for example, tends to have a mixed reception and attracts downvotes, whereas long factual pieces were assured multiple Chings and a significantly positive reputation. As E2 was not competing with Wikipedia, this presented something of a mission conflict.

Experience and levels 3.0 (2005-2007)

Once it became clear that the Honor Roll had some flaws and wasn't sufficient to meet changing expectations, in 2005 the system was revised again. Honor Roll continued, but XP requirements were substantially increased while writeup requirements were reduced by an average of 40%, and level 13 was eliminated on the grounds of it being impossible to achieve with the new "raised bar".

The level system 2005-2007:

Level Title XP req WU req Votes C!
1 Initiate 0 0 0 0
2 Novice 50 20 10 0
3 Acolyte 250 40 20 0
4 Scribe 500 100 30 1
5 Monk 1,000 200 45 1
6 Crafter 4,000 300 60 2
7 Artisan 7,000 450 75 2
8 Seer 10,000 600 90 3
9 Archivist 15,000 750 105 3
10 Avatar 21,000 1,000 125 4
11 Godhead 30,000 1,400 150 4
12 Pseudo_God 50,000 2,400 200 5

Internet Archive: Voting/Experience System from April 2006.

Experience and levels 3.5 (2007-2008)

Despite the problem with Vote Dumping, in April 2007 kthejoker unilaterally altered the system, increasing the bonus for casting a vote from 20% to 33.3% and briefly eliminating the vote dumping bonus, but then restoring it (in an even more XP-inflationary way) with another scheme whereby users got 5 XP instantly for every 10 votes cast, plus 10 XP at the end if they cast all their votes. This totaled even more XP for Vote Dumping than before, and allowed diligent voters like aneurin, sid, and Segnbora-t to zoom up the Everything's Best Users list over the next year and a half. Nevertheless, the writeup requirement remained as the gatekeeper to leveling up.

Historically, E2 staff members were in a special class when it came to vote and C! allotment, essentially having an unlimited supply of both regardless of their level. This privilege was abolished in stages, with infinite Ching ability removed in November 2007 and vote replenishment via a tool known as the "Voting pit stop" discontinued in November 2008. Thereafter, e2gods and content editors would each have the daily vote and C! allotments provided with their respective user levels, and any user may now obtain extra votes or Chings in the E2 Gift Shop.

The short-lived "Writeup Bonus" system, invented and introduced by kthejoker in January 2008, was intended as a replacement for the Honor Roll. As described in his Editor Log, it would not yield benefits for deleting your own low-performing writeups, but existed alongside the Honor Roll in a confusing state of affairs which lasted ten months until the next system was introduced.

Experience and levels 4.0: The XP/GP system (2008-2014)

On October 29, 2008, the Honor Roll was discontinued and leveling returned to being a simple function of XP and writeup count. Considering how easy it was to receive XP under the previous voting and experience systems (often for things that had nothing to do with writing), the site admins decided to take a long, hard look at the XP system and devise something fairer. Current level-up requirements can be viewed at The Everything2 Voting/Experience System. Level Distribution shows the number of active users at specific levels.

This system features several major changes. Perhaps the most substantial one was the increase in levels, from a finite twelve to the theoretical infinite, with groups of levels sharing the same title and every level after 91 entitled "Transcendent". There are three users with special titles: nate and dbrown have "Godhead" and thefez has "Arcanist". You can gain or lose XP in the following ways only:

  • +5 XP for each writeup you publish
  • -5 XP for each writeup that is removed
  • +20 XP each time one of your writeups is C!'d (Chinged by another user and sent to the Cool Archive)
  • +1 XP every time another user upvotes one of your writeups

As a complement to XP, a virtual currency known as GP was introduced. Its use is also explained in The Everything2 Voting/Experience System, though it has no bearing on level advancement. Notably, casting your votes on writeups used to give you a 33.3% chance of earning 1 XP, but this was replaced by 1 GP. Accordingly, the XP bonus for casting all your daily votes was once again eliminated.

Experience and levels 4.5: Level flattening (2014-present)

At the end of 2014, mauler proposed a revision to the system in Editor Log: December 2014. This reduced both the XP and writeup count requirements across the board, making it easier to level up. The changes are represented in the table below. While the table stops at Level 36, the same proportion of value reductions continue for all subsequent levels.

Levelv4.0 XPCurrent XPv4.0 WriteupsCurrent Writeups
Level 1400100105
Level 29003002010
Level 315006003015
Level 4230010004020
Level 5330015005025
Level 6450021006030
Level 7590028007035
Level 8750036008040
Level 9930045009045
Level 1011300550010050
Level 1113500660011055
Level 1216000780012060
Level 1318500910013065
Level 14210001050014070
Level 15235001200015075
Level 16260001360016080
Level 17285001530017085
Level 18310001710018090
Level 19335001900019095
Level 203600021000200100
Level 213850023100210105
Level 224100025300220110
Level 234350027600230115
Level 244600030000240120
Level 254850032500250125
Level 265100035000260130
Level 275350037500270135
Level 285600040000280140
Level 295850042500290145
Level 306100045000300150
Level 316350047500310155
Level 326600050000320160
Level 336850052500330165
Level 347100055000340170
Level 357350057500350175
Level 367600060000360180

This document was a collaborative work, with SharQ, mauler, Tem42, and panamaus principally contributing. If you have questions or believe there are errors, please contact a staff member.

back to
Everything2 Help

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.