One of the characters in the Homestar Runner series of Web animations.

Homsar has his origins in the second Strong Bad e-mail. This particular e-mail asked Strong Bad why he didn't just kill "Homsar" if he hated him so much. This was, of course, a typo; the writer had meant to say "Homestar", but the brothers Chaps liked the idea so much that they created the Homsar character just so Strong Bad could drop a large weight on him. However, Homsar has since had a tendency to not stay dead. He has been mentioned in several other features on the site since his appearance. Most often he is a secret character who must be "unlocked" via an Easter Egg of one form or another, but not always.

Physically, Homsar is a caricature of Homestar. Aside from being larger in every dimension (height, width, and underbite), his accent is far more pronounced than Homestar's. In place of Homestar's propeller baseball cap and red shirt, Homestar wears a yellow boiler hat and a blue shirt with his name printed across the front. Homestar is not known for cleverness in his speech patterns, but Homsar speaks almost entirely in non sequiturs, leading to a strange cross between Homestar Runner and Zippy the Pinhead.

Homsar's role in the series is slowly expanding. While he was at first intended only as a cameo, and then only as a secret character, several recent features have shown him as a friend of Strong Sad. As of July 15, 2003, he even has an official entry on the site's Characters page, though it is, as usual, slightly hidden. Eject the tape in the VCR to see it.

In this last appearance, we are starting to see a new aspect of Homsar: the superpowers attributed to his hat. Although Homsar's hat has long been known to be something of a gymnast, jumping and spinning and flipping as he talks, in this episode we see the hat actually change shape, to a train engineer's cap. The transformation is brief, but watch for it when Homsar speaks of being "the captain of the gravy train".

Little is known about Homsar's past. This isn't so much on account of any kind of secrecy, as much as it is the fact that no one can understand what he's saying. For example, when asked about his childhood, Homsar claimed to have been raised by a cup of coffee.


Homsar's counterpart in the Kick the Can timeline is somewhat debatable. There is a character called The Bossman who wears a bowler hat strikingly like Homsar's own, some believe that his title would better indicate that this is meant as a counterpart to the King of Town. However, the KoT already has a counterpart in The Kaiser, so this theory is discounted by many. In any case, The Bossman has only had one appearance, and this was only a cameo, so nothing can be certain yet.


Homsar does not yet appear to have a counterpart in the Stinko Man 20X6 timeline.

"I'm a song from the sixties!"

Homsar is my favorite character on the Homestar Runner site. I've always had a special place in my heart for completely nonsensical yet strangely compelling and eminently quotable one-liners; his voice is quirky and difficult to replicate, unlike that of Homestar or Strong Bad; and while his non-sequiturs could grow tiresome quickly, he shows up infrequently enough that he doesn't wear out his welcome. He didn't appear at all in the first Characters section (he's in the new one... hallelujah!) and, as Millenium mentioned, frequently turns up only as a hidden secret of some kind. Here are some (but probably not all) of the places he can be found, separated by <hr>s, because what would an h*r writeup be without an <hr> tag or two?


Places you can find Homsar, like, without hardly trying:


Places you can find Homsar, but you have to click something, or something (spoilers ahead):

  • "Oh no! I think this is my favorite!" Holiday Toon, "The House That Gave Sucky Treats": When the Poopsmith (dressed as "Lazer Tag") and Pom-Pom (as Michael Moore, natch) show up at your door, drag the pumpkin that mysteriously appears to the Poopsmith's mouth. An homage to The Legend Of Zelda's "You have found a secret!" sound will play, and the next person to appear at the door will be Homsar. If you don't want to go back and do this two more times, choose the middle treat. The quotes you get for the other two are available elsewhere (see the last item).
  • Holiday Toon, "Pumpkin Carve-nival": When it's the Poopsmith's turn to have his pumpkin judged, click on his, um, deflated pumpkin. Homsar will show up with his entry next.
  • Holiday Toon, "3 Times Halloween Funjob!": When Homestar is in Marzipan's house discussing his haul with Bubs, click on the Poopsmith's face and Homsar will shortly make a random appearance. The significance of this is open to interpretation.
  • Holiday Toon, "Halloween Potion-ma-jig": When Homestar encounters the King of Town and Poopsmith digging in the woods, click Poopsmith's head after Homestar receives his powdered item to trigger Homsar's appearance ("Oh no, not the secret guy!") in the next scene.
  • Strong Bad Email 58, "dragon": When Strong Mad is showing off his art, click on the "R" he has inscribed in the table, and Homsar will be the next person whose art Strong Bad critiques.
  • Strong Bad Email 62, "interview": Click on Strong Bad's Post-It notes to cycle between different pictures of both Strong Bad and Homsar. Additionally, at the end of the cartoon, you can click on the Post-Its as they lie on the table to go to a home page with Homsar (instead of Homestar) as your host. You can also reach this page by clicking on the "3" in the "Copyright 2000-2003" in any of the standard home pages.
  • Strong Bad Email 77, "suntan": When Strong Bad holds out his hostage (Strong Sad's lobster), click on the tag attached to it proudly proclaiming "G." Homsar tells you just how six-pack-like his cloits and dloits have gotten, just in time.
  • "Don't look now, I'm just a friendly reminder!" Character List: Click the Eject button on the VCR to get the Homsar tape. Homsar gone wild! When Homsar Attacks!
  • "I'm saving the best for last!" Downloads Menu: Click on "Balance Inquiry," and then on "0.00." Click the upper left hand corner of the credit card to obtain the PIN and a promotional message about the credit card company. Finally, drag the card to the slot and enter the PIN to get a nice set of ready-to-order Homsar quotes. And by "order" I mean "download." Enjoy.


Feel free to /msg me with additional Homsar sightings. Thanks to althorrat and generic-man for keeping me on my toes. althorrat was responsible for calling to my attention the secret in sbemail 77, which warrants the highest praise. Further, AndyAnime awakened me from my dreamless, regenerative slumber to call to my attention the appearances in sbemails 104, 105 and 110. For this he shall receive a crown of plutonium when I subjugate all people of Earth to my will.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.