The desire to pimp out a car exists within all of us. Well, all of us who want to have a monster truck to handle those suburban streets, a double-sized pick-up truck to haul empty air in on the way to their white collar job, be able to exceed the speed limit by 100mph instead of just 70, or have a flashy show car to get tarnished on the city streets and have its expensive paint job and body modification ruined by wear and tear.

Still, if you're going to pimp out a car, why in God's name use a Honda CRX? We're talking about a small, low-budget car that looks squat and weird, and whose genius designers made it so low to ground that you feel like the bottom is being torn open when you go over a speed bump in one. And yet, there they are. CRXs with spoilers, modified exhausts, mufflers that look like they belong on fighter jets, and paint jobs out of air-brushed fantasy. There's one parked by my apartment building here in Baltimore with a bitchin' yellow/orange paint job, and what looks like a totally new, one piece body shell. And yet. . .it's a fucking CRX! Pick-up trucks and sports cars were born for this sort of thing. The logic here is a little harder to follow. I think I have it figured out though. Let's proceed with the artist's rendition. . .

INT. CAR DEALERSHIP- DAY

Some guy buys a Honda CRX

Guy: Oh shit! I just bought a Honda CRX! How can I get cool?

A pimped-out CRX drops out of the sky and crushes the guy.

Narrator: well, thanks to a cross-eyed stage hand, that guy never got to be cool. But other CRX owners were able to learn from the example. Soon, the idea swept the nation.

EXT. ROAD- DAY

YET ANOTHER GUY in a pimped-out CRX is next to a pimped out pick-up truck at a red light.

YAG: Hey man! Let's go!

The pick-up's driver glances over, nudges his wheel, and in doing so turns the CRX into tin foil.

INT. CAR DEALERSHIP- DAY

Guy crushed under the car: Thanks, narrator!

A broken hand limply flashes thumbs-up from underneath the chassis.

FADE OUT

Well, that's my best guess, anyway.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

First, They look good. That’s right, good. I suppose it all depends on your perspective, but they look fine to me. They look somewhat unique (except for maybe a few VWs), and to me, unique is a good thing. And about being to close to the ground, to me, that’s another good thing.

Lets think about the demographic that buys and tricks out these cars. Teenagers, from 16-26 are the age group you are going to see driving these cars, why? Price, these are relatively cheap for what you are getting. Other options are out there; the VW Golf is a nice looking car that also is easily upgradeable. Once again, I see more Golfs and Civic Wagons around then I do CRXs.

These cars are good performers. Do a quick search on Ebay and you will see there are plenty around that are still running. They are fast. Take a mid-80’s MR2 (Toyota), GTI (VW), RX-7 (Mazda), and a mid 90’s Dodge Neon (Get an American car in there). Look at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. They are all close, at around 8-9 sec. 0-60 (not incredibly impressive, but not slow either.) and 16 sec. 1/4 miles. All right, lets take out that Neon because it doesn’t impress the ladies and has limited third-party parts. ( wonko says re: Pimped out CRXs -- Granted, Neons don't impress the ladies, but "limited third party parts"? You must not have done much research. Neons have a massive third-party part world...probably second only to Hondas. ;) ] That leaves us with the GTI, the RX-7, and MR2. All very nice cars, I can’t say I don’t like any of them. The RX-7 has a 9.9-10+ 0-60 time, depending on your sources. That’s just not acceptable, and upgrading it to move faster will be expensive and once again limited. The GTI is a common car with many available parts, but I don’t want a common car, and while a GTI is nice, I want something a little sportier, lets say. That leaves us with two very nice choices, and as much as I have tried to find somthing wrong with the MR2, I can’t. But, as you can see, the CRX is a nice and arguably better car then the similar competition. Honda's are good cars to trick out, for you have many respectable companies making products for them (see Neuspeed). I would rather see someone trick out a CRX then a Civic or Golf. Plus, CRXs have good gas mileage.

Ok, now, for another statement. Don’t think I’m sticking up for Rice Boys. “I just got a Honda window sticker, that adds 30-40 HP!” No, I don’t believe in making a car look fast, when its not. So, upgrade your CRX with a nice Intake, Exhaust system perhaps, maybe even a Turbo. Maybe get a VTEC engine if you don’t already have one and you have some money to waste. A CRX would make a nice project car for someone. A CRX would make a good car for some fun driving.

That’s why people trick out CRXs. I’m sure there a better cars out there to fit others fancies, there are faster cars for a little more money perhaps, but for the young adult age group without a ton of money but a passion for there automobile, a Honda CRX is a option to be considered.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.