One of the Western world's most popular greasy snackfoods, the Hot Dog on a Stick was invented in the year 1946 by Dave Barham, for his hot dog stand on Muscle Beach, Santa Monica, California. He used his mother's cornbread recipe as the base for his "Party Batter", a thick flour and egg based concoction into which the frankfurter sausages were dipped. Impaled on a stick of approximately 20cm in length, they were deep fried in hot oil to a dark brown colour, and served to hungry beach-goers, who consumed them by the thousand.

By the time that Dave Barham passed away, in 1991, there were over sixty Hot Dog on a Stick stores in twelve states of the USA. He was also alive to see the transfer of ownership of the company to it's employees, as an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan). At the time of writing, the company operates one hundred and fifteen corporate-owned outlets in the USA, and has franchise master agreements in place in Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Venezuela. Only one of these territories has opened franchised outlets -- Venezuela.

The employees of Hot Dog on a Stick are required to wear extremely colourful uniforms, which were introduced in the 1960s, and reflect the exuberance of the swinging sixties.

Genuine Hot Dogs on a Stick are made of 100% turkey*, and in some appropriate locations, 100% veggie dogs are available.

Nutritional Value
Hot Dog on a Stick
Serving Size: One Hot Dog on a Stick

Calories 250
Fat Calories 120
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 45mg
Sodium 860mg
Total Carbohydrates 23g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 4g
Protein 9g

In the USA, non-branded Hot Dogs on a Stick are also known as corndogs.

Hot dogs on sticks are also enjoyed in many other non-franchised western countries. In Australia, for example, hot dogs on sticks have been a staple snackfood at fairgrounds, amusement parks, and outdoor events (such as motor races) since the 1960s. The snack is known in the antipodes as a Dagwood Dog, a Pluto Pup, and a battered saveloy (or "battered sav")

Back in North America, fire-roasted frankfurter sausages are a popular camping meal. In this context, a hot dog on a stick has a different meaning. A "hot dog stick" is a long metal spike with a handle on one end, intended for spearing and cooking the frank over a camp fire.



*Interestingly, the Californians consume more poultry frankfurters than beef, and are the greatest poultry-frankfurter consumers in the USA.

RESEARCH SOURCES:

HDOS Enterprises (www.hotdogonastick.com)
Tamarak Hot Dog Sticks (www.tamarak.com/hotdog.htm)
National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (www.hot-dog.org)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.