Every time I go to Berlin I seem to end up staying in the Hotel Hackesher Markt. I’ve tried other city hotels, such as The Forum, but something about the Hackesher Markt just keeps me coming back for more.

Located in the Hackesher Markt district, it what was once part of East Berlin, the Hotel Hackesher Markt is a reasonably quiet, very friendly set of lodgings ideal for further city exploration. Unter Den Linden, the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag and with just a little effort Potsdamer Platz are all within walking distance if you are that way inclined.

Situated in the heart of Mitte, the ancient centre of Berlin, the Hackesher Markt area itself is chock full of great bars, cafes and restaurants. In recent years this former downtrodden East Berlin suburb has certainly become very upwardly mobile. Still, without too much effort it is easy enough to find a cosy corner away from the madding crowd to enjoy a quiet beer, coffee or meal.

The Hotel has clearly been totally remodeled in recent years. The first time I stayed there was in December 2000, so it must have been slightly more than 2 years ago that the last redecorating was done. While still retaining some 19th Century charm, the décor is fresh and light, providing a sense of welcoming warmth. The main social areas of the hotel include a breakfast restaurant area and a charming ground floor bar which is ideal for winding down in after a long day out, or getting ready for the long evening ahead.

There are both double and single rooms available. I have not stayed in a single so I cannot vouch for them. However, double rooms are, while not particularly large, very comfortable and reasonably well appointed with a TV and mini-bar. The standard bathroom does not have a bath, only a shower, but are always exceptionally clean. Even though the temperatures outside, during my most recent sojourn, were well below minus 10 Celsius, the rooms were toasty warm thanks to excellent under floor central heating.

The Hotel’s website tells me that there are 31 individual rooms including 3 suites. The room prices are not the cheapest around, but you can always be assured of a pleasant stay with quality service. I standard double room started at EUR115 per night with standard singles at EUR105 per night.

I can do nothing but recommend the Hotel Hackesher Markt to anyone looking for great accommodation in this fabulous city.

Hotel Hackesher Markt
Grosse Prasidentenstrasse 8
D-10178 Berlin (Mitte)
http://www.hackescher-markt.com/ (German language only)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.