Often times, interracial coupling is seen as a pollution of society in eugenics. However, in Latin America, it was seen as a way to better society.

During the late 19th century and early 20th century, the Latin American cultural elite often looked to Western Europe as an example of how their society should be, mostly because many of them were from Europe. Neocolonial economic domination from Europe and the United States of America also played a part in the thought process since they exported their culture to Latin America along with their material goods. Despite trying to be more like Western Europe and, to a lesser extent, the United States of America, Latin American society remained ingrained in its own ways. Given the popularity of the eugenics movement at the time, the cultural elites believed that the problem had to do with the racial make up of Latin America, which was predominantly Mestizo and African. Thus, their solution to the problem was to increase immigration amongst Europeans with the hope that they would couple with local Mestizos and Africans. Though such an idea is blatantly racist, it is practically egalitarian when compared to the extermination policies of the European fascists.

An example of this idea is exemplified in the painting Redemption of Ham by Modesto Barco y Gomez, which features a black grandmother, a mulatto woman, her white husband, and their child. The painting reflected the idea of breeding a better society through introducing more white blood into the gene pool.

Source: Chasteen, John Charles. Born in Blood and Fire. W.W. Norton and Company, Inc.: New York. 2001.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.