The first task of a dealer just starting out a new gaming session is to verify that all 52 playing cards are present and that there are no obvious marks that give away a card's value. If you're playing a game that uses jokers, make that 54 cards. Spend an extra bit of time shuffling the cards if the pack is new. 

The vast majority of games like poker and blackjack are dealt in this manner with a dealer that rotates after every hand. The cards are thouroughly shuffled, making sure not to divulge the bottom card to any of the players. When done, the person to the right of the dealer is allowed to "cut" the cards, which means they may split the deck at any point. Personally, I split the deck "thin to win" by taking about fifty millimeters of the cards at the top and moving them to the bottom.

The cards are then dealt starting with the player to the left of the dealer, distributing the required cards for the game selected. For five card stud poker that means all of the players have five cards in their hand. If an error is made the cards are collected and re-shuffled. We used to have the dealer who screwed up add in a buck to the pot as a penalty.

After that, the game is played normally. 

Iron Noder 2017

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.