First, a disclaimer: it is a scam. You will not get anything that approaches something that resembles projection TV.

The plans attempt to turn your television into a magic lantern, which is itself an application of camera obscura.

|  _ .
| / \     .             _________________________ 
| \ /                  |          ^l umop apisdn |
|  |             .     |           . _=____=__   |
| /|\                 /\      .     |  _____  |  |
|/ | \               (  ).          | |  W  | |  |
|  |                  \/      .     | |__o__| |  |
| / \            .     |           .|_________|  |
|/   \    .            |_________________________|
|     .
The detailed instructions (available on the net for free! save your $$$) make you build a dark box around your television (turned upside down!) using cardboard and an opening where a fresnel lens(sold by the scammer at a heavy markup, of course) is fitted. Once built, the setup is adjusted to project the image on a wall.

Now here are the caveats to this (and why it's a scam):

  • This scheme requires the TV brightness turned up all the way. This means a very blurry bloomed image and will dramatically shorten the life of the phosphorus and CRT guns.
  • The TV needs to be standing upside down, something it was not designed to do, and results in screwed up linearity (distorted colors).
  • Encasing your TV in a box, upside down will adversly affect ventilation making it overheat. (thanks spiregrain)
  • Even with the brightness all the way up, the image is very dim, requiring the room to be perfectly dark, daytime viewing is out.
  • The fresnel lens used to focus the image is not at all optically perfect (whadya expect for $10) and will severly distort the image.
  • The TV tube is curved, so the image will not be projected from the focal point at the edges.
In summary, you get a poorly lit, distorted and blurry "projection TV" which you can only watch during a moonless night.

Well it's not all bad. It could be used semi-effectively for a couple of applications:

  • Projecting Winamp or Cthugha visualisations on the ceiling during a party
  • Projecting scary pictures on your front window as part of a Halloween night decorations
  • (/msg your idea here)
    Drinkypoo: you don't have to turn the TV upside down, you can swap wires on the yoke. (The yoke's on you if you break your TV doing that.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.