In many hot climates you really don't need to have the electronic choke enabled on your air cooled Volkswagen. Disabling it saves gas (okay not much, but still) and on really hot days can improve the initial performance of your engine. Honestly, there isn't that much point in doing it. But that never stopped anyone.

I know this will work on Solex Pict 30/34 and 31 carburetors and I assume others as well. It should work on any carburetor that was installed stock in a Type I Volkswagen engine, except the really old ones of course.

So here goes:
Facing the engine from the back of the car you'll see the carburetor right in the middle of the engine compartment. On the right side of it at the top there will be a cylinder that is about 2 inches in diameter and about an inch thick. It will have a wire connected to it. This is the electronic choke. It has a spring in it that initially holds the butterfly valve tight but as the heating element in it is heated it expands and opens the butterfly valve.

There will be three screws securing the it. Remove these screws one by one being careful not to let them fall. At this point a spring will most likely unwind. Basically just reattach the cap to it with the spring still unwound.

You have just disabled your electronic choke.

If your engine is sluggish when you first start it you might want to enable it again.

Important: Do this while the engine is cool, if you do it right after you drive the adjustment will be all off.

Just unscrew it again, tighten the spring until the butterfly valve in the top of the carburetor shuts (you'll need to take the air filter off to see this) and screw the cap back on.

Let the engine idle for a while and see if the butterfly valve starts to open. If it doesn't you've tightened the spring too much.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.