The method described here is your regular, run-of-the-mill egg roll wrapping technique. Nothing at all fancy. In fact, this same method could be used on wrapping up a burrito (although the tortilla shape is round compared to the egg roll wrapper). With that said...

Here's What You'll Need

  • a package of egg roll or wonton wrappers, cut into squares
    Now the dimensions of the square could vary, depending on how large an egg roll you want to make and exactly how tight you plan on wrapping up these bad boys. I'd recommend starting off with an inch and a half, squared, and then figuring out if that works for you. Next time you'll be able to decide to go larger or smaller.
  • the egg roll filling
  • the paste
    Described below.
How To Do It
  1. Arrange the egg roll wrapper so that its corners make a diamond as illustrated below. The corners will be designated A, B, C, and D.
    
                           D
                           .
                         .   .
                       .       .
                     .           .
                 B .               . C
                     .           .
                       .       .
                         .   .
                           .
                           A
    
  2. Place some egg roll filling somewhere between the center and Corner A, being careful not to add so much that it gets dangerously close to Corners B & C.
                           D
                           .
                         .   .
                       .       .
                     .           .
                 B .               . C
                     .   XXXXX   .
                       .  XXX  .
                         .   .
                           .
                           A
    
  3. Bring Corner A to the center, partially covering up the filling.
                           D
                           .
                         .   .
                       .       .
                     .           .
                 B .      .A.      . C
                     .  .     .  .
                       .........
    
  4. Fold in Corners B & C towards the center, making a fold that is more or less perpendicular with the bottom of the egg roll and tucking in the filling from both sides (as illustrated below).
                           D
                           .
                         .   .
                       .       .
                     .__       __.
                     |  \ .A. /  |
                     |  .B   C.  |
                     .............
    
  5. Apply some paste to the remaining flap that is Corner D.
  6. Bring Corner D down and seal it shut, almost envelope-like. Be sure to inspect for exposed areas of filling and to remedy that before frying.
    
                     .............
                     | \       / |
                     |  .     .  |
                     ....\.../....
                           D
    
Congratulations! You've finished wrapping up one egg roll. Now on to the other hundred or so that await your attention.

Egg Roll Wrapper Paste

There are a great many ways that people have pasted their egg rolls together. If you're lucky enough to have one of those big ole deep fat fryers, you probably don't even need to apply some sort of paste to the egg rolls as they could more than likely just be tossed in and flash-fried shut. But for everyone else, here are two methods:

  • The Egg Yolk Paste
    Separate an egg (or two, depending on how many egg rolls need sealing) and discard the whites. Scramble the remaining yolk(s). Presto! There's your paste.
  • The Corn Starch Paste
    Combine a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and a cup of boiling water. After awhile, you'll wind up with what looks like paste. If you don't, mix in some more corn starch and let it boil some more. (I always have memories of this stuff looking like Vick's Vap-O-Rub, but that's just me..)
Regardless of which method you decide to use, apply it sparingly. Use about a dab or simply dip your finger in the solution and smear it on the egg roll. If you use too much, you may wind up flavoring the egg roll with the paste as opposed to merely using it to seal it shut.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.