In this day and age of PC behavior, we have become so consumed with avoiding offending other people that we have forgotten some of the key principles on which this nation was founded. The freedom of speech and press stated in the Bill of Rights (aka Amendments 1-10 of the US Constitution) can hardly be seen today. Today, everything we say, and everything everyone else says is a product of carefully edited clips and phrases.

While the social amity implied by this sort of self-censorship can hardly be criticized, what can be criticized is the stifling control our own moderation demands. I could be walking down the street humming a song and cast a sideways glance at someone and all of a sudden be targeted as a racist or a sexist who objectifies women simply because of the (mostly) involuntary reaction elicited by the passing of an attractive woman.

Further, now our own personal opinions are so carefully guarded that now noone can, or is willing to express their true opinions for fear of offending someone. Those that do find the chutzpah to do so are most frequently branded as instigators with no purpose but to cause trouble and gather attention, when it is in fact society poo-pooing the idea of individual voice, a voice walking a separate line from what everyone else expects. In a more relevant case, it seems that the American people hardly know who it is they're voting for President due to the fact that 99% of what the see or hear of a candidate is totally scripted and thought out in such a way as to reflect a position that pleases the most number, or the most valuable voters.

We also see the demise of one of America's most prized art forms, the novel, with the rising up of Christian Fundamentalist groups who object, essentially, to the reality of books such as Catcher in the Rye, Bridge to Terabithia and The Giver, all classics which also happened to make the list of the century's top 100 banned books. So, we teach our children that reality is, in fact, bad, and that our kids shouldn't have to learn about death, and the truth of life. Anyone willing to argue that any of the above 3 books are devoid of life facts can go ahead and try, but they'll fail.

So, this process continues into the children of the current generation. Unless we can teach the young to open up their minds and make their own decisions, we'll be stuck with PC for a long time yet to come. In conclusion, Damn the Man, peace, love and respect.

I grew up in San Francisco. Arguably the most liberal city in the United States. My mother was involved in Politics. A Past President of the local chapters of the AAUW and NWPC. My father was one of the first male members of both. I helped found the NOW chapter at my high school. My Middle School was mostly African American, my High Schools was predominantly Chinese. I am a Straight White Middleclass Male.
My life experiences have skewed my perceptions beyond the norm.

I can't think improper thoughts; it's been brainwashed out of me.
I can't touch a girl until she has either: expressly told me I could, or initiated contact consistently over a span of weeks. To me, No Always Means No. I don't see people as different races/sexual preferences... they're just people who seem a lot less edgy... or more so than myself.

I am the ultimate product of political correctness training, and it has gimped me.

But is my inability to interact balanced by my inability to offend? That's the main question behind political correctness. Is the hobbling of our minds and perceptions worth the effort?
It is.
Tolerance is worth it. Though political correctness is not tolerance in itself, being forced to act in such a manner affects our subconcious. We behave as society wants us to behave and our children see that behavior as the norm.
I've talked to many people my age, and they seem to think the 1950's were a happy time in America. They believe that it looked like the movies we see.
I talk to people my parents age about that time, and they remember it quite differently. Alcoholism was rampant, as were familial abuse. Members of minorities were beat up because of their differences. People taunted those who were different.
That doesn't sound much different from today? Wrong, it was done On television and in movies, it was done By the government in full view of the public. It was endorsed by the leaders of the community.
The 1960's were a time of rebellion... what do you think they were rebelling from?
Political Correctness has humbled us. It has hurt our ability to say things as they are. It has made us aware of other people's pain, and taken away our ability to express our regret.
But it has also saved many people from being hurt more. It has taught us that some things are not acceptable.

And thats why I don't mind being brainwashed.

Like my brothers in arms above, I too have had my perfectly right and appropriate natural social instincts perverted by political correctness. Result? The abject misery and deep psychological trauma that nearly every Caucasian male suffers today as part of his enslavement to the all-powerful liberal elite that controls every aspect of our daily lives.

For example: any reasonable person can see that black men are a menace to people like myself; a plethora of anecdotal evidence bears this out. Now in the old days, if I saw a black man walking around in my neighborhood--most likely "casing" the "joint" (a gangland term)--my natural response to the presence of this scary intruder would be to call the police. These days though, political correctness compels me to think and act like he has some good reason for being there. Plus if I call the cops, I will be automatically branded a racist, just for defending my home! Meanwhile this African-American gentleman (more political correctness!) has no such inner struggle going on, and is free to rob me blind.

And then there's women. What healthy man doesn't occasionally get the urge to pat an attractive woman on the bottom as she passes? All of a sudden, such natural behavior between a man and a woman is seen as a lack of respect! Really, it's a sign of deep respect: you're saying, "Even though you are a superior court judge, I want you to know that I still think of you as a very sexy lady."

Don't get me started on the whole "no means no" thing. Nowadays if you have sex with a struggling, protesting girl, you're accused of being a rapist! I think most women would secretly agree with me that it's worth the risk of an occasional rape if it means keeping the excitement and fire of sex alive.

The fact is, political correctness stunts healthy discourse. Personally I think it's a tragedy that if I ever met Ater in real life I wouldn't be allowed to ask him if his Korean parents serve dog in their convenience store, just like it would be considered "inappropriate" if I asked DMan if he ever saw his lesbo sisters get it on with each other. Why should we have to watch what we say around each other? "Let it all hang out", as the kids say!

END DEEP SARCASM MODE. INITIATE RETURN TO REALITY ON MY MARK.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.