Metro North's Hudson Line was once the passenger main of the mighty New York Central. It is named for the Hudson River, and runs along its east shore for most of its length, between Spuyten Duyvil and Poughkeepsie. In 1968, the New York Central was merged into Penn Central, and in a desperate attempt to stay afloat, began unloading or abandoning its passenger routes. The commuter lines radiating out of New York City were turned over to Metro North, while the long-haul passenger travel on the line was operated by Amtrak. Stations on the Hudson Line are:

Grand Central Terminal--transfer available to NYC subway lines 4, 5, 6, 7, and Times Square Shuttle.
125th Street--transfer available to 4,5, and 6 trains.
--Leaves Manhattan, enters The Bronx--

Morris Heights
University Heights
Marble Hill--transfer available to the #1
Spuyten Duyvil--Amtrak service to and from Penn Station branches off here.
Riverdale
--Leaves New York City limits--

Ludlow
Yonkers
Glenwood
Greystone
Hastings
Dobbs Ferry
Ardsley
Irvington
Tarrytown
Philipse Manor
Scarborough
Ossining
Croton-Harmon--a major rail yard is located here. New York Central passenger trains used to switch from electric to steam power here.
Cortlandt
Peekskill
Manitou
Garrison
Cold Spring
Breakneck Ridge
Beacon--Metro North's Beacon Line branches off here. The Beacon Line is not used for revenue passenger service, but rather for equipment moves, as it connects to all three major lines. Freight service is provided, but not by Metro North.
New Hamburg
Poughkeepsie--Amtrak is the only passenger service provided north of this point. Amtrak trains continue to Albany, and points north and west such as Montreal and Buffalo.

Note: Some of the stops between Peekskill and Poughkeepsie are not open year-round.

Within the city limits, there are several abandoned stations. In the Park Avenue tunnel, on the outer tracks, there are small platforms visible at 59th Street, 72nd Street, and 86th Street. Only 86th Street remained open past 1900. There were also stations at 110th Street and 138th Street (Bronx) on the Park Avenue viaduct. These stations became unnecessary with the building of the New York City subway system's Lexington Avenue line.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.