English divine
Born 1795 Died 1838

Hugh James Rose was born at Little Horsted in Sussex on the 9th of June 1795, and was educated at Ickfield school and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1817, but missed a fellowship. Taking orders, he was appointed to Buxted, Sussex, in 1819, and to the vicarage of Horsham in 1821.

He had already attained some repute as a critic, which was enhanced when, after travelling in Germany, he delivered as select preacher at Cambridge, four addresses against rationalism, published in 1825 as The State of the Protestant Religion in Germany. The book was severely criticized in Germany, and in England by E. B. Pusey. In 1827 Rose was collated to the prebend of Middleton; in 1830 he accepted the rectory of Hadleigh, Suffolk, and in 1833 that of Fairsted, Essex, and in 1835 the perpetual curacy of St Thomas's, Southwark. In 1833-1834 he was professor of divinity at Durham, a post which ill-health forced him to resign.

In 1836 he became editor of the Encyclopaedia Metropolitana, and he projected the New General Biographical Dictionary, a scheme carried through by his brother Henry John Rose (1800-1873). He was appointed principal of Kings College, London, in October 1836, but he was attacked by influenza, and after two years of ill-health he died at Florence on the 22nd of December 1838.

Rose was a highchurchman, who to propagate his views in 1832 founded the British Magazine and so came into touch with the leaders of the Oxford movement. Out of a conference at his rectory in Hadleigh came the Association of Friends of the Church, formed by R. H. Froude and William Palmer.

See J. W. Burgon, Lives of Twelve Good Men (1891).

Being the entry for ROSE, HUGH JAMES in the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, the text of which lies within the public domain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.