The gravitational pressure at the center of the Earth is great enough to melt iron. Thousands of tons of it. If you drilled a hole through the center of the Earth and jumped in, it would take you eighteen hours to get to the other side. If you got to the other side, that is - great wavy seas of 17-degree water pose enough challenge for humans, let alone great wavy seas of 1536-degree iron. The volume of said iron, parenthetically, being enough to feed the entire world's steel industry for all of recorded human history several times over.

We get our light and heat from a massive ongoing thermonuclear explosion. Despite the average bonfire being roundly incapable of heating everyone's legs unless they're actually thrust into the flame, the sun manages to boil eggs in Al 'Aziziyah from several million kilometers away.

These things are commonly found to be exceptional, miraculous and awesome. But they happen everywhere. The observable universe has at least a hundred billion galaxies, and ours has at least a hundred billion stars. Without even trying to comprehend the scale of these numbers, it's easily understood that they're goddamn enormous. And among all these stars, there are certainly a lot of rocky planets that receive the same rays from their sun that we do from ours. And a lot of rocky planets with heaping gobs of molten iron at their hearts, and a lot of places that look a lot like those heavenly photos we've taken of the Grand Canyon and Mount Everest and Mars. Divinity, through abundance, becomes mundane. And although the warm light of a main-sequence star may seem special to us, it probably doesn't to the observable universe.

In a cosmic sense, however, there is only one of me and there is only one of you. There are at least six billion people in the world, but none of them know my E2 password or your dog's middle name. Of course, these things don't really matter on a cosmic scale. And in that sense, it could be said that each human's distinguishing characteristics are no different in nature than those of each star in the Milky Way, or each planet, and that because of this humans are no more unique than any other object that the universe contains a few billion of. But the difference is that stars do not consider themselves to be significant. Whereas we do.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.