The poor fool sat on a wall thinking he was quite safe as the King had promised to send all his horses and all his men. They'd pick him up in a minute, they would.
He got a very nice cravat for his unbirthday and was very clever in making words mean whatever he wanted.
Oh, I almost forgot. He fell off the wall.
Unfortunately the King didn't send two of his horses or any of the messengers and they were the only ones that would have been clever enough to put Mr. Dumpty right.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!

From the East Anglia Tourist Board in England: "Humpty Dumpty was a powerful cannon during the English Civil War (1642-1649). It was mounted on top of the St Mary's at the Wall Church in Colchester defending the city against siege in the summer of 1648. (Although Colchester was a Parliamentarian stronghold, it had been captured by the Royalists and they held it for 11 weeks.) The church tower was hit by the enemy and the top of the tower was blown off, sending "Humpty" tumbling to the ground. Naturally the King's men (infantry) tried to mend him but in vain.

nursery rhyme

*Note: The facts of this tale were told to me personally by a Yeoman Warder (Beefeater) at the Tower of London. If you dispute the facts, go argue with him.

We've all heard the nursery rhyme, Humpty Dumpty at least once in our lives. It goes something like this:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
And all the king's horses
And all the king's men
Tried to put humpty back together again.

Behind this incredibly famous nursery rhyme is a very rich history of the Royal Family of Britain, more specifically of Richard III, also known as Richard of Gloucster, son of King Henry III. King Richard III was a really brutal man, who attained the crown through deception and murder. His round and egg-like appearance earned him the name Humpty Dumpty.

Richard III succeeded his brother, Edward IV, after the latter died. Edward IV had two young male heirs, who after his death held the claim to the throne. However, conspiracy led to the bloody murder of these two young princes in the Tower of London. Today, the tower where the corpses of the two young princes were found in the 19th century is known as the Bloody Tower.

Richard's reign was marred by war and violence. The eventual result was the disposal of Richard by Henry VII, also known as Henry Tudor. Thus the rhyme, 'Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.'

This period in English History was visited by William Shakespeare in his play, Richard III, and later by Hollywood in the film Richard III starring Ian McKellen.

Nursery Rhymes, recited so innocently by children all over the world, have an extremely deep and rich history behind them, not all histories being innocent. Other's include 'Ring around the rosey,' which is a rhyme describing to the way people died of Bubonic Plague during the Black Death of mideival Europe. But none so bloody as Humpty Dumpty.

Richard III did not have the appearance of an egg, in fact there is no evidence of him having been deformed in any way - that's all Tudor propaganda, immortalized by The Bard who was writing, don't forget, for a Tudor queen.

As for the princes in the tower, yet again there is nothing more concrete than legend to link their deaths with Richard III, and the years of violence and bloodshed - well, yes, being as it was all during the War of the Roses, to which the succession of the Tudors finally brought an end. D'uh!

As for the nursery rhyme itself, wasn't it written by Louis Carroll? In parody of indecisive politicians or something?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.