Huna is a system of belief practiced by the ancient peoples of the Hawaiian Islands as well as their descendents today. The spiritualism of Huna is based upon the concept of the three selves of the individual, the Unihipili, the Uhane and the Aumakua, to be discussed below. The magic of Huna is based upon the acceptance and manipulation of the energy of life, mana. The traditional name for a ritual enactor of Huna is the Kahuna, "Keeper of the Secret." The Kahuna can be male or female and traditionally lived on the eastern outskirts of the village.

Now to discuss the activities and responsibilities of the three selves:

The Unihipili is the first self, also referred to as the Lower Self. It is seen as the subconsciouss mind, the repository of memory and the force that controls autonomic function such as breathing and blinking. It is also important to note that the Unihipili is the self that collects the ever important mana for the other two selves. In addition, the word "Unihipili" means "grasshopper" and "soul of the beloved dead."

What the west knows as the "consciouss mind" is represented as the Uhane, the Middle Self, in Huna psycho-spiritualism. It is where we think and feel, what we refer to as "I."

And finally we move to the Aumakua or Higher Self. It is often seen as a guardian spirit, bestowing upon the individual guidance and oracular abilities. Of the three selves, the Aumakua seems to be the one most divorced from what one would call "himself".

Serge Kahili King, who was adopted as the grandson of Joseph Kahili of Kauai described tradition he practiced, the Kupua Tradition, thusly:

The Seven Principles
The basic assumptions of Huna are:
1.The World is what you think it is.
2.There are no limits.
3.Energy flows where attention goes.
4.Now is the moment of power.
5.To love is to be happy with someone or something.
6.All power comes from within.
7.Effectiveness is the measure of truth.

The Three Selves
The three selves are:
1.The Superconscious - Inspires.
2.The Conscious - Imagines.
3.The Subconscious - Remembers.

The Four Levels of Reality
The third set of assumptions from the Kupua Tradition divide experience into four levels, they are:
1.Everything is objective (Scientific Reality).
2.Everything is subjective (Psychic Reality).
3.Everything is symbolic (Shamanic Reality).
4.Everything is holitistic (Mystical Reality).

Other Important Huna Concepts:
Akua: The Gods, anthropomorphic representations of natural forces such as the ocean, life and volcanoes.
Aloha: Literally, "We share life's breath." The commonness of this phrase in Hawaiian culture gives a good explanation of the basic Huna concepts. All people, regardless of race or origin, share a connection to the mana.
Ana Ana: The "Ones who pray for death." The Ana Ana act as the curse givers, often mistakenly compared to the bocor of Voodoo. The Ana Ana also acted as ones who cured disease, frightening the evil spirits with their strong and dark countenances. Another term for them is "The Eaters of Filth." This phrase is not considered derogatory.
Ho'omanamana: The creating life force of the world.
Ho'oponopono: The ritual of penance, an important ritual in Huna often done daily by Kahunas.
Kala: Forgiveness.
Kapu: That which is forbidden.
Kapuna: Ancestors.
Mele: A chant for wisdom.
Po'e Aumakua: The guardian spirit of an entire family.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.