A city in a wet county, when I was a lad.

The surrounding territory was filled with dryness. As teenagers, we desired something with which to wet our whistle. This meant a trip to Madison County, or all the way into Huntsville, if we wanted the hard stuff.

Either way, it was a perilous adventure. In between us and the beverages of delight was the sheriff’s patrol from Limestone County, AL (major city and jail, Athens). They made their living pulling over folks who were transporting illegal beverages from Madison County to anywhere, as long as it went through their jurisdiction.

There were back roads and transfer schemes and all the illicit gamesmanship that prohibition must have meant on a nationwide scale at one time.

The hard part, if you desired the harder liquors, was going to the State Store (yes, not the Liquor Store, but a liquor store run by the State of Alabama) and trying to find an adult to go in and get it for you. It often wound up with your money in a wino's pocket as he ran out the back door.

It's all wet there now, but that was over the dead bodies of many, many good Baptists.

Huntsville, AL is one of the most over looked parts of the United States space program. Lots of stuff is built and designed at Redstone Arsonal, we have the US Space and Rocket Center, we got the Apollo 11 rocket (the big white thing) standing and all restored outside the Rocket Center, and we even got a real Saturn V.

But yet, we are continually forgotten by the public and filmmakers when they make movies dealing with space. I mean, Dr. Wernher von Braun lived and worked here. We've got the Von Braun Center named for him and everything, and yet we continually get forgotten. I mean yeah it's Alabama and our PR is just sooo wonderful I know, but still man, let's give some credit where it's due. If we're trusted to design and construct these $80 million dollar hunks of metal, surely we're important enough to mention in a movie or things of that nature.

As far as I can tell, only one movie has mentioned Huntsville, Marooned (or Space Travelers, if you watched the MST3K version). Does the bulk of the American people really think that NASA exists only in Houston and Florida?

Blue laws here in Huntsville, Alabama are finally a thing of the past. The Huntsville city council voted unanimously on January 9, 2003 to legalize the sale of beer and liquor on Sundays after 7am. Considering the huge protests that were made several years ago when they wanted to put a bar in the Huntsville International Airport .. not a single person appeared at the meeting to complain or protest this decision.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.