Fate and free will can and do coexist.

Granted, human beings make choices all the time, and I'm not doubting that. But exactly how much choice do we have?

Nothing is truly random. Sometimes the origin of something is out of the scope of human perception, but there are definitely mathematical formulas for everything.

Humans are just a collection of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Our brains are operated on a definite algorithm. We think, but since there is no randomness to our thought, we would inevitably arrive to the same decision every time no matter what it would be based on.

So I suppose that we do have free will, but... There is only one path for my life to follow. The fun part is finding out what that path is. ;) I'll never know until I try!

Humans are just a collection of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Our brains are operated on a definite algorithm. We think, but since there is no randomness to our thought

What makes you think that? Electrons exhibit random behavior. How can you be sure that neurons don't?

I would think that it's far more plausable that they do:

Neurons communicate with each other by releasing neurotransmitter chemicals to diffuse across the synaptic gap to the next neuron's receptor (ie by random brownian motion), so there is bound to be a certain level of noise in the system.

The next neuron will fire if it detects a certain level of neurotransmitter present (in the simplest case). Given the noise in the system, the time of arrival of the neurotransmiter molecules, and thus the timing of the firing (or in borderline cases, the decision to fire or not), will be affected by the noise.

Not that I completely disagree, but there is a problem with that argument. There are different levels of abstraction upon which you can look at any phenomenon. And human beings are a splendid example. In my first year of medical school (which turned out to be my ONLY year of medical school), I learned Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology of the Cell, Histology, Anatomy and Development. I think those are the major levels of explaining humans.

Now, it is possible to go as far as linking two levels, but usually not much further. So, for example, you can attempt to explain aspects of histology by understanding how cells operate. (Histology is the study of tissues). But it's still very difficult. I mean, the functioning of mitochondrea etc. is very low level compared to why vein tissue is built the way it is.

Try to go down another level. Try to explain the structure of veins by chemical reactions. It's just too much. It's practically impossible. And that's why we need, and have, levels of abstraction. Take a subject we know better than human operation: computers. Explain the running of Quake 2 with flip-flops. No way. Theoretically you should be able to; Quake 2 depends on the function of J-K flip flops. But it's impossible to actually do so.

Which is basically what you are trying to do. You can't explain consciousness by electrons. There are too many levels in between, and thus the argument that the brain is made up of electrons therefore I have no free will is flawed. It is simply a leap across too many boundaries and abstraction levels.

Go down lower than electrons. Most theories now agree that randomness is an inherent part of everything. Many physicians believe there are many more dimensions that we (Joe Public) know (and I'm talking about more than 20, while we know 3 (4 counting time)). So isn't it possible that this also works the other way? While you can predict an atom's behaviour almost precisely, you can't predict the behaviour of many smaller constituents of it. And you can't precisely predict the behaviour of a human.

Maybe it's not so obvious.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.