...Like you care. Fortunately, since this is me we're talking about, I have a dazzling and overdone rationalization for this seemingly banal event. I thought perhaps you might be interested at least to see what horrid tangle of irrational logic I've come up with next. Well, here she is.

I couldn't quit smoking. I know that tobacco is medically the most dangerous of the type 1 substances. It's more addictive than heroin, kills more people than crack, etc. But...but but but...smoking doesn't feel wrong like smoking crack would feel wrong. I've only been smoking for about three years, and I smoke about a pack a day, which I know is a little much, but...heeeeey. Wait a minute.

Tobacco. OLD SHIT. People have been smoking tobacco (and pot, to be honest) for thousands of years. But but but...tobacco kills about a quarter of a million people every year now. Surely it didn't always kill that many people, or we'd be extinct from smoking by now. Hell, we were smoking before there WERE a quarter of a million people around.

So what's the catch? Well, I think I got it. Modern technology has made it too easy for us to smoke too much. I mean, fuckin' a, how in the hell could you smoke 20 cigarettes in a day, even a hundred years ago? You'd spend all day just cutting, rolling, smoking, and doing it again. Now, we buy this neat little box...you see where I'm going with this.

Let's get a little more esoteric, or you all won't believe this is really me talking. I think that smoking is a pretty natural thing. I mean, fuck, the aboriginees did it; the arabs did it; the Jews in Jesus' time did it; the Egyptians and Babylonians and Sumerians and medieval people and Victorians....and huge chunks of us figured it out independantly, too. My problem with quitting smoking is that I don't feel the natural urge to quit, like I do with genuinely unhealthy things like overeating, oversleeping (or not sleeping) and shit like that. I feel the urge to smoke less, yes...and I feel the urge to hand-roll my smokes now.

OK, so I switched two days ago. Now I carry a pouch and a pack of papers equalling about fifty potential cigarettes. They don't have filters, but then again I'm down from 20 a day to about seven. I also spent three bucks on six packs worth of tobacco and papers. AND I have some cover for the vast amount of smoking paraphrenilia littering my house.

All in all, I'm happy.
Now, starting to roll your own cigarettes is a good start, I believe, but you have to weigh in all factors.

It is said the filters in rolled cigarettes (if you choose to use them) make you more a candidate for cancer than a "normal" cigarette. Also, it should be clear to everyone that rolling tobacco is much stronger than that in your run-of-the-mill tastes-like-paper Marlboro cig.

Of course, when I think about all the extra chemicals they treat manufactured cigarettes with, I DO think rolled cigarettes are actually more healthy than manufactured ones. Of course that doesn't mean you can smoke a packet of tobacco every day and be less likely to have a black chunk where your lung used to be after a decade or two.

Hand-rolling is still more fun, though.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.