“Eye” Corps, or Military Region 1, was the northernmost of the four U.S. military regions in the Republic of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. It encompassed the provinces of Quang Tri, Thua Thien, Quang Nam, Quang Tin, and Quang Ngai, the birthplace of Ho Chi Minh.

I Corps Headquarters was located in the coastal city of Da Nang, and the other major cities in the region were Hue, the imperial capital between 1802 and 1945, Quang Tri City, and Chu Lai in Quang Ngai province south of Da Nang on the Tra Bong River, home of the Americal Division and the site of future episodes of REMFS.

The Americal Division, approximately 25,000 soldiers with Marine Air Support, fought in and around towns, firebases, and landing zones with names such as Tam Ky, Hill 54, LZ Ky Tra, Tra Bong, Bayonet, Mary Ann, Siberia, and most famously My Lai (or Son My), site of the U.S. Army’s massacre of 347 Vietnamese civilians on March 16, 1968.

In an interesting piece of military-political bureaucratic denial and legerdermain, the Americal Division's name was changed to the 23rd Infantry Division after the My Lai tragedy, no doubt causing the Americal soldiers who fought "under the Southern Cross" in New Caledonia during World War II some concern. Some things, after all, you can't just make disappear.

Other American units that fought proudly in I Corps include:




On Vietnam:

REMFS

  1. I was a prisoner in a Mexican Whorehouse
  2. A long time gone
  3. How to brush your teeth in a combat zone
  4. Libber and I go to war
  5. Fate takes a piss
  6. Thanks For the Memory
  7. Back in the Shit
  8. LZ Waterloo
  9. Saturday Night, Numbah Ten

grunts
Phantom

a long commute
Andy X Kirby True
a tale of two Woodstocks
Buy a Gun
Dawn at The Wall
Draft
Feat of Clay
Funeral Detail
I was a free man once, in Saigon
The Joint Chiefs of Staff
the shit we ate

AK-47
Breaking Starch
Combat Infantryman Badge
David Dellinger
Dickey Chapelle
Firebase Mary Ann
Garry Owen
Gloria Emerson
Graves Registration
I Corps
MOS
Project 100,000
REMF
the 1st Cav
The Highest Traditions
Those Who Forget
Under the Southern Cross
Whither the Phoenix?

A Bright Shining Lie
Apocalypse Now Redux
Hearts and Minds
We Were Soldiers

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.