During their short-lived life as a band, Savage Garden were not exactly regarded as songwriters of the highest order. Catchy hooks aside, their albums really did take a commercially formulaic approach with lyrics that were of a bland sort.

As a result, two of their ballads turned out to be their two biggest hit songs. While Truly, Madly, Deeply came out of the gates first, it was I Knew I Loved You (IKILY) that ended up becoming the standard at weddings, Valentine's Day, and karaoke bars.

Written as a tribute to wife of lead singer Darren Hayes1, the song's melody is inescapably smooth despite its simplicity. In fact, it would have all gone down quite well if it wasn't for the cookie-cutter lyrics. I suppose it had to be expected, considering the title, but it really does take the song down several notches.

Nevertheless, it did send many hearts fluttering and, to this day, it remains a guilty pleasure of mine. And it is solely because of this fact that I present to you my story about it...


Two years ago, I made the mistake of joining a group of friends at a karaoke bar. Having already been properly lubricated, my judgement (or lack thereof) really did get the best of me that night and I happily acquiesced to the majority's decision.

After ordering another round of rye and gingers, we proceeded to review the catalogue of songs. Jewels such as I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, I'm On Fire, and even House of the Rising Sun were selected and performed by various members of our group to general indifference from the other patrons that night. Even an attempt at a rousing rendition of Higher Ground didn't quite make a splash with any members of the audience.

My turn came around and given the rather quiet reaction throughout, I figured a ballad was in order. As I flipped through the list, I crossed out numerous ones (Angie - too much anguish, Thank You - couldn't quite channel the Plant that night, Moon River - no thanks). Sure enough, I came upon IKILY and decided "forgettable song for a forgettable night - I might as well".

As I started the song quietly but assuredly, I paid no attention to my surroundings, save for the viewscreen that scrolled the lyrics along with some requisite cheesy video montage. I even managed to hit all of the falsetto notes nicely and ripped right through the song very nicely.

As the last notes faded away into digital oblivion, I looked up and was caught by surprise at the sight of about a dozen couples slow-dancing on the floor in front of me. One couple even came up to me and asked if I would be kind enough to perform the song at their wedding.2 I turned to the DJ behind me and whispered "WTF?"

His response? "I guess you've forgotten what day it is today."


1 - They've divorced since then. I guess it wasn't such a hit at home after all.
2 - No, I did not accept.

Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
and there it goes
I think I've found my best friend

Although the third song on Savage Garden's second album, Affirmation, called I Knew I Loved You, was probably written about a romantic love that isn't how I think about the song.  This song has a new meaning for me now that I have met my big brother and sister.  They are not related to me but have sort of adopted me as their "kiddo".  They call me their little sister and I think of him as my big brother and his wife as my big sister.  I have three best friends, one came into my life before this song did and now there is a married couple I met in a bipolar chat room that came into my life a mere few months ago. I introduced them to e2 and now one of them is my "mentee" and her husband is also a successful noder. I'm so emotionally close to them that it feels as if they have always been part of my life and I don't know how I ever lived without them. 


I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe
I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

I met them when I was in a manic state and they've stuck with me through the depression that has followed it.  They've done more for me than I ever thought anyone could.  Some of the things are physical, like fixing my computer over VNC or sending me a care package that included a small doll that is an angel named Princess that sits on my headboard and went with me on my recent visit to the hospital for assessment.  My friends have helped me by making phone calls for me when I was a blubbering idiot and needed to make doctors appointments and such.  They call me on the telephone almost every day.  It feels so good when they call just to call me. 

There's just no rhyme or reason
only this sense of completion
and in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I found my way home

Some of the things they've done for me are spiritual.  They pray for me.  They remind me to be strong.  I can truly be me, the real me, all of me, with them.  I don't have to hide anything from them.  They're such wonderful people.  They make me feel alive.  There are no secrets between us.  I've called them at weird hours when I was upset and they didn't complain. If it weren't for them I might not even be here anymore. They have truly saved my life, and more. 

I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe
I knew I loved you before I met you

I have struggled with self-injury for years now. My friends have supported me and with their encouragement I threw all the blades I found cleaning my room into the trash and every time I was tempted to pull them out they helped me through it.  They've been there to listen, to give gentle advice, to sternly tell me no, and to nag just enough.  I think God sends angels in the form of friends and I feel extremely blessed

A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I found you


Lyrics from "I Knew I Loved You"
By Darren Hayes and Daniel Jones
Used within Fair Use
This node dedicated to my big sis and bro,
you know who you are.....I love you.




 

CST Approved

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.