I am frightened to death, and I can't stand to admit it. I fear being alone for the rest of my life. I am scared that I am just going to wind up fading into the grey. I know I am a romantic at heart, but I know I can survive on my own. I fear I will fail trying to live a life, in which I remain true to myself and independent, where a man isn't my destiny - but a choice. I am scared to age physically, when men will stop flirting with me, and see me as being worth much less. Will I become a pathetic hermit, similar to the main charchter in Notes From the Underground, aware, perceptive, and unloved? I am scared that I will become a nuisance, or burden to my friends. I am terrified that no one will ever look at me attentively, or lovingly again. I fear that when I talk about my life, my experiences, my mistakes .. that they are only curious about my life because it is such a drama, and not because they want to get to know who I am. I am scared that I already had the great love of my life, and that the rest will just be me pathetically hoping and dreaming, until I get so destroyed from constant slams in the face that I just become to tired to dream.

I used to think I would wear my emotions on the outside my entire life, not giving a shit at all what anyone has ever thought about what they saw in or though about me. Then I hit 14. Funny how things change so quickly, and you learn to conform.

And now, I see the whole universe I have built up to cover the inner me falling apart. A moment of weakness. A moment of trust in someone who didn't deserve it. My defense broken by a kiss. And then the flow of inner emotions that poured out of me and onto her. And she was overwhelmed. And then she was gone.

Once again, I am wondering if I will ever share myself with another human being, let them see the inner me. Can anyone truly handle it?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.