My name is Constable Benton Fraser, Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I first came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of my father and, for reasons that don't need exploring at this juncture, I have remained, attached as liaison officer with the Canadian Consulate.

This short monologue is from Due South. It serves as an explanation as to why Constable Benton Fraser is in Chicago. This will only make sense if you know what the series is about - read the node if you don’t.

The explanation was introduced after it was brought to the attention of the makers of the programme that new viewers of the series had trouble understanding why there would be a Mountie working in Chicago with a CPD cop.

Some variation of the “I came to Chicago on the trail...” explanation is spoken in every episode of season three of and most episodes of season four (all but four episodes). In one episode it is used twice (The Ladies’ Man).

It is only the same, word for word, in two episodes (Eclipse and Asylum) because the writers of the series had a game of making it different each time - leaving it incomplete, having different people (other than Benton) finish it, having other people say it etc. Often the first sentence - “My name is Constable Benton Fraser, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.” - is dropped, which is why it is usually known by the second line "I first came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of my father ".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.