The import of this sentence is that it demonstrates how the meaning changes -- sometimes with subtlety -- based on the placement of emphasis on any single word in the sentence:
I never told you she stole my heart.

(Whoever it was you heard that from, it wasn't me!!)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(Sorry bud, but in response to your proposition, that utterance simply did not escape my lips. Ever.)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(Yep, she stole it; but I kept that bit of information, ahem, close to my chest.)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(Oh, I told everybody else; but you-- you, I kept in the dark.)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(Somebody had done so, I let you know that much, but did I mention it was her who done it?)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(I'd let you know she'd gotten hold of it somehow-- but not by thievery!!)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(I let on that she was a heart-stealer; just never that mine was amongst the ones which were stolen....)

I never told you she stole my heart.

(Perhaps you thought it was my wallet that she stole? my identity? a kiss?)
In addition to all these variations, the whole sentence recited without emphasis on any one word is equally diverse in meaning if spoken with a sly smile, or with a sad, slightly distant gaze into the point of nothingness just over your left shoulder, or with an angry bark, or with a jackal's laugh. Notice as well that interposition of a grammatically correct 'that' in the sentence (as in 'I never told you that she stole my heart') breaks the series, for a sentence emphasizing that word ('I never told you that she stole my heart') would simply be weird and distracting to the point of losing its meaningfulness.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.