Have you ever seen how little old ladies drive? They have to be pretty little, and pretty old, but most people have probably encountered them... they're the ones who sit up with their chins right above the steering wheel and their hands at 11 and 1.

I decided one day to see why anybody would drive this way. Really it was just to get laughs out of the other people in the car, but what I discovered truly amazed me.

Everybody who's played a flight-simulator before knows: turning off the cockpit display, increases your spatial awareness. That is, it's easier to concentrate on what's in front of you.

That's what driving like an old lady does for you! If you don't mind not being able to see your dashboard as well, you can see a lot more of the road, and you feel more at one with the car! Seriously, I'm not making this up. Try it for yourself. When the windshield encompasses your entire field of vision, you'll see that it makes you feel better while you drive. Also, it makes you look like a complete chode. I never drove that way again, and probably never will.

If only I could be an old lady!


Since when has being safety concious ever effected anyone's driving style?

You do realize that driving statistics for older drivers show that more accidents are caused by them. When you increase your spatial view, sure you can see more...in front of you. But can you see the huge Semi coming right at you from either side.

Perhaps driving like an Old Lady seems more comfortable, but it most likely will get you killed...maybe.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.