Another day, another change in my mother's heart medications. I go to the doctor with her, then to the pharmacy which is located inside the grocery store. The very earnest pharmacist tells us he will have the new prescriptions ready in twenty minutes. I ask my mother if she needs any food, which as soon as I ask, I know is a mistake. She starts telling me what she has in her refrigerator and cabinets, so I interrupt, "Mom, just pretend I'm your personal shopper and I have limited time, plus my hourly rate is exorbitant even though I'm efficient and kind."


She responds, "I could use some fresh fruits and vegetables," which is convenient as the produce is right by the pharmacy. Bananas, peaches, strawberries, celery, red potatoes, done.


"Anything else?" I ask in my personal shopper voice. Suddenly, Paul McCartney is singing rather loudly in aisle 14, "...if I ever get out of here, thought of giving it all away..."


My mother is grabbing some snacks which are definitely not low sodium and telling me she bought caffeinated coffee the other day by mistake and doesn't care. Whoa, I almost freak out, then I realise, gjepura!!! She's 88 years old and if she wants to cheat a little on her dietary restrictions, I'm going to just be her daughter who wants her to be happy.


We zip through the dairy and freezer aisles, and McCartney is still singing, "...to a registered charity...if I ever get out of here..." I talk my mother into buying two half gallons of Blue Bunny ice cream on sale. French Vanilla and Bunny Tracks.


I tell her if we keep walking fast, we can count it as safe exercise on a 90 degree day. We sail through a few more aisles, then head back for her medications. After five minutes of advice from the pharmacist, we head for the check-out. She asks me if I'm still writing for "that wonderful Google group." As I place the items on the conveyor belt, greet the check-out guy and proceed to bag as fast as he scans, I think about my answer.


McCartney answered first, "...Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun, And the first one said to the second one there, I hope you're having fun..." My mother was humming to the music.


"Oh, yeah, Mom, but I don't have to lie any more, or just write endings that no one really liked to non-existent novels, now they're doing a quest for charity."


She smiled at the rightness of the world, singing along with Paul and Linda and Wings, as I pushed the cart, "...Well, the night was falling as the desert world began to settle down. In the town they're searching for us everywhere, but we never will be found."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.