Cogito Ergo Sum. This was the conclusion of Descates' quest to find out if anything can be known with absolute certainty. He proceeded to do this by doubting everything.

Unknown to many, this line of thinking has a precedent in St. Augustine, who came to roughtly the same conlusion as Descartes. Praphrasing: "Of this last doubt, I cannot doubt: that I doubt."

See also:

  • The Method of doubt
  • Descartes was wrong
  • Part of Descartes' attempt to prove the existence of God, without assuming the existence of God. He starts, je pense, donc je suis. (he was French.)
    1. I am thinking this. I can think.
    2. Well, then, I must exist.
    3. If I exist, I must have come from somewhere.
    4. I must have a creator, e.g. God.
    Of course, this is not a proof. He wasn't satisfied with it and apparently wasn't very happy that he couldn't absolutely prove God's existence. He did better in math. I am not a philosopher, this is just what i remember.

    General Wesc has given me a more authentic-sounding series of steps, one which would convince me less, even. So - "I think, therefore God is, in three easy steps", by our friend Rene:

    1. People have an idea of a perfect being.
    2. Every effect must have an equal or greater cause.
    3. The only cause that could be equal/greater than that idea is God.
    Ah, Rene. So the butterfly influencing the weather patterns is no good for you, eh? And the idea of a perfect being held in the mind of a human is the next greatest thing to a perfect being itself? Personally, i think a good ripe peach is equal to or greater than musings on a perfect being most days. But then, i am not desperate to prove i have a creator other than my mother.

    Thanks, Wesc!

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.