"Which piece on the chess board are you?," an omnipresent, clear voice asked me. I did not see the body this voice belonged to. I stood in a field of giant chess pieces. My viewpoint suddenly changed. I saw the board from afar.

"Well, I'm not a pawn," I replied calmly. "No one has bothered to move me. I'm rather insignificant in this game." I stopped to think for a moment, as my hand hovered over the board. "I'm not a knight. I'm not a gallant warrior, stepping out into the game early. I wait."

"Are you sure you're not a pawn?," the voice questioned.

"No, I may not be useful in the game, but I still have my moments." My eyes were on the board studying the pieces. They stood still upon the board in their beginning postions. "I'm not a bishop. I don't know why... Perhaps it's just because of the religious reference. I've never been much into religion."

"Are you sure you're not a pawn?"

"Yes, quite so. Perhaps I'm a rook, staying out of the game early, coming in the middle or end of the game." As I spoke some pieces disappeared, and the rook moved to castle. "But, I'm not one to move and protect the king. So I guess I'm not a rook."

"Are you sure you're not a pawn?"

I paused to consider their query. I was running out of pieces to be. "I can't be a king. I don't lead people, and I'm not the most important piece on the board. I can't be the queen, I don't hold that sort of power and influence."

"Are you sure you're not a pawn?," the voice struck inside my head. No one ever wants to admit that he is just a pawn in the game.

"I don't know."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.