IDE is a TLA which commonly stands for one of two things:

1. An Integrated Development Environment, which is basically a text editor designed for source code and with a compiler, debugger, and other sweet stuff built in. Almost all programming languages are available as IDEs, specifically on the x86 platform. The popularity of Windows and the concept of a computer on every desktop has increased demand for easy-to-use programming utilities. Some commonly used IDEs today are Visual Works, Delphi and JBuilder.

2. Integrated Drive Electronics, the most commonly used hard disk interface on the x86. Currently replacing SCSI as the interface of choice even for very high-end systems. IDE used to be mind-numbingy slow and even today cannot be daisy-chained. UDMA-66 and UDMA-100 have rectified the speed problem, and the incredibly low price of disks and RAID cards for IDE means you can now afford to buy two IDE disks instead of one SCSI disk, save money and gain speed.
IDE (acronym for Integrated Drive Electronics) (n.)

IDE is a hard disk interface. It is also utilized by the popular ATAPI CD-ROM drive interface. It uses a semiconductor called an IDE Controller and a 40-pin ribbon cable to interface with a modern hard disk drive. The current standard for IDE data transfer is called Ultra ATA. New technology is coming soon called Serial ATA where there will be two wires, upstream and downstream, which will replace IDE.

Ide (?), n. Zool.

Same as Id.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.