Intercourse infers a relation between two objects. The word typically refers to sexual intercourse, that is, fucking, making love, etc.

The linguistic myth goes thus: when the Normans invaded England, their language including the words intercourse and excrement supplanted the language of the native Anglo-Saxons, with their equivalent fuck and shit as proper language, with the latter being demoted to obscenity status.

I use "intercourse" as a larger category than just sex. In fact, intercourse, in my usage, does not include the more mundane forms of sex, such as fucking.

William Gibson defined creativity as "rubbing two things together in a way that they haven't been rubbed together before."

To me, intercourse means this kind of rubbing, between two people. "A creative rubbing that changes both people." Making love is the best example. But it can also be a mind-blowing conversation, a shared perfect moment or, in extreme cases, just an exchange of looks.

Sometimes, when I think I'm just horny, an alernate form of intercourse will leave me satisfied.

intercourse: connection or interaction between people. In sexual intercourse, the connection is usually defined as being between two people. It is erroneously restricted to putting the penis into the vagina (or anus) or the vagina (or anus) onto the penis (penovaginal or penoanal intercourse, respectively). The entire sexual interaction between the partners constitutes sexual intercourse. 2. Connection or interaction between people. In sexual intercourse, the connection is usually defined as being between two people. It is erroneously defined as putting the penis into the vagina (penovaginal intercourse), for the entire sexual interaction between the partners constitutes sexual intercourse. See also coitus; copulate; mount.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

In"ter*course (?), n. [Formerly entercourse, OF. entrecours commerce, exchange, F. entrecours a reciprocal right on neighboring lands, L. intercursus a running between, fr. intercurrere to run between. See Inter-, and Course.]

A commingling; intimate connection or dealings between persons or nations, as in common affairs and civilities, in correspondence or trade; communication; commerce; especially, interchange of thought and feeling; association; communion.

This sweet intercourse Of looks and smiles. Milton.

Sexual intercourse, sexual or carnal connection; coition.

Syn. -- Communication; connection; commerce; communion; fellowship; familiarity; acquaintance.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.