The Icom IC-7300 is one of the new HF + 6m radios used by amateur radio operators on their licensed ham frequencies. Retail price is around $1299 but one can find them around $200 cheaper if they shop around.

This ham radio has a clear and bright TFT LCD color display that looks exceptional when looking at the waterfall display. This is a graphic that shows where the signals are located so one can tune to them fast before they disappear into the ether. The IC-7300 features:

  • SSB, CW, RTTY, AM, FM, and digital modes.
  • RF direct sampling as used on software-defined radios.
  • 100 watts of output power on HF and 6 meter bands.
  • A built-in antenna tuner.
  • Touch screen selectivity and the main tuning knob can also control other functions.
  • Built-in memory keyer for morse code (CW) and Radio Teletype (RTTY).
  • Voice memories are useful for contesting.
  • Built-in SD card slot for saving configurations.
  • Built-in USB port to connect to computers and audio in/out.

As one of the lower tier ham radios on the market, this Icom packs a lot of power and options in a medium-sized rig. While not as portable as the older Icom IC-7000, this rig is an excellent entry point for the newer operator or for a ham on a budget. It excels in pulling out weak signals with its digital noise reduction. If you're on the market for a radio than this is an excellent candidate for your hard-earned dollars.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.