A relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

Most often stated as PV=nRT.

And yet another example of science teaching our students "laws" that have limited correlation to reality, as it only holds approximately true for gases near and below atmospheric pressure.

A law that states that under "normal" conditions, the Pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to the Volume while both are directly proportional to the amount of gas (n) and Temperature (which, again, are inversely proportional to one another.)
This roughly means that if Pressure increases Volume decreases, Pressure and Volume tend to increase with Temperature, etc.

The ideal gas law is commonly expressed as PV = nRT where R equals 0.0821 when Pressure is measured in atmospheres, Volume in litres, Temperature in kelvins and amount of gas in moles. If we measure pressure in pascals and Volume in metres cubed, R is set to 8.31.

The apex of 19th century research into the behavior of gasses. Also incorporates the molecular nature of gasses.

PV=nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of molecules of gas, T is the temperature (measured from absolute zero), and R is a constant which cancels out the units from the other terms. What R actually is is determined by the units you use for the other terms, so if you wanted, you could do the whole equation in millimeters of Hg, pounds per square inch, and Farenheit. But the math is a pain in the ass unless you use the usual.

This law combines the three older gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law, and incorporates a term reflecting the number of molecules of gas.

I remembered the Ideal Gas Laws via the mnemonic "BOTCAPGOV", where Boyle's Law holds "T"emperature constant, Charles' Law holds "P"ressure constant, and Gay-Lussac's Law holds "V"olume constant. "PV=nRT" is easy to remember as "PerVNeRT" . I still remember all these from high school, many years ago. Use these mnemonics with caution.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.