Impact of Industrialization on Society

Early life in America was based solely on the production and marketing of agricultural products. However, by the 1820's the rise of industrialization swept the nation. Factories, new machines and products began to appear all over the country. This led to a new form of rapidly growing economy. Despite these vast improvements, many aspects of the American economy was still agrarian, but for the first time, the amount of manufactured goods exported equal that of the agricultural line.

Many aspects of the new age led to better economic workings and the rise of industry. First, many old systems of distribution like the general store was being replaced by more specialized buildings. In addition, new laws protecting investors for the losses that a collapsing company would induce to its supporters, was passed and more purchasing of stock and speculation began. However, due to the weak credit mechanisms in existence at the time, investments were still very unsteady.

New forms of production also were created. Most famous of the systems was the Lowell Offering, which placed young women who left their natural farm life to live in a factory for a salary. This system provided many new jobs, stimulated economy by providing efficient labor, and gave homes as well as brought people to the cites which surrounded the factories. However, often times workers would be injured on the job or become bored with the repetitive lifestyle and quit their jobs, but this hardly hurt the factories since cheap immigrant labor was always available.

New inventions and innovations also sprung up around the country, which provided faster and more efficient production for business and factories. Inventors like McCormick, who invented the mechanical reaper allowed harvesting to be completed faster thus enabling the creation of larger fields. Other inventions like the Howe-Singer Sewing machine increased productivity of the textile industries and Eli Whitney's design for standardized parts of guns started a revolutionary system of developing products. The need for a new power supply was filled by the use of coal, which called for greater demands of coal mining in many towns that soon became centers of commerce like Philadelphia.

All of these events impacted on America during the age of industrialization and changed the way the nation's economy would function. These included the inventions of new machines like the sewing machine and systems like standardizations of parts led to increased productivity. Factory systems redefined city life as well as gave many jobs to out of work farmers or the homeless. Increased systems of investment and distribution also marked a revolution in the way of business.

Note: This is an original work and should be cited if used.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.