In"ci*dent (?), a. [L. incidens, -entis, p. pr. & of incidere to fall into or upon; pref. in- in, on + cadere to fall: cf. F. incident. See Cadence.]

1.

Falling or striking upon, as a ray of light upon a reflecting surface.

2.

Coming or happening accidentally; not in the usual course of things; not in connection with the main design; not according to expectation; casual; fortuitous.

As the ordinary course of common affairs is disposed of by general laws, so likewise men's rarer incident necessities and utilities should be with special equity considered. Hooker.

3.

Liable to happen; apt to occur; befalling; hence, naturally happening or appertaining.

All chances incident to man's frail life. Milton.

The studies incident to his profession. Milward.

4. Law

Dependent upon, or appertaining to, another thing, called the principal.

Incident proposition Logic, a proposition subordinate to another, and introduced by who, which, whose, whom, etc.; as, Julius, whose surname was Caesar, overcame Pompey.

I. Watts.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"ci*dent, n. [Cf. F. incident.]

1.

That which falls out or takes place; an event; casualty; occurrence.

2.

That which happens aside from the main design; an accidental or subordinate action or event.

No person, no incident, in a play but must be of use to carry on the main design. Dryden.

3. Law

Something appertaining to, passing with, or depending on, another, called the principal.

Tomlins.

Syn. -- Circumstance; event; fact; adventure; contingency; chance; accident; casualty. See Event.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.