In grammar, refers to a distinction some languages make in the first person plural, the inclusive pronoun including the person(s) spoken to, and the exclusive excluding them. In 'We ransacked your desk when you were on holiday' the we is exclusive, but in 'Didn't we have fun ransacking Williamson's desk!' it is inclusive.

In Indonesian the words are kita inclusive and kami exclusive.

In Bislama, a creole of Vanuatu derived from English, they are yunmifala inclusive and mifala exclusive. These are the plurals. Bislama also makes the distinction in the dual (yunmitufala and mitufala) and even has a rarity in languages, a trial (yunmitrifala and mitrifala). Although its words are derived from English (-fala = 'fellows'), the number system reflects the underlying Melanesian system.

Although unknown in European languages, the inclusive/exclusive distinction is common enough worldwide.

In*clu"sive (?), a. [Cf. F. inclusif.]

1.

Inclosing; encircling; surrounding.

The inclusive verge Of golden metal that must round my brow. Shak.

2.

Comprehending the stated limit or extremes; as, from Monday to Saturday inclusive, that is, taking in both Monday and Saturday; -- opposed to exclusive.

<-- see include, v.t. 2 -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.