Independence National Historical Park

Covering about 1 square mile of Center City, Philadephia, the section usually refered to as Old City, INHP is home to a large number of historical landmarks for not only the city, but for the nation:

  • Independence Hall: Between Walnut and Chestnut Streets, and 5th and 6th Streets.
    Originally the Pennsylvania State House, the building was first occupied in 1735. It is the sight of the Second Continental Congresses, and hte framing of the United States Constitution. It was also home to the Liberty Bell until the late 1970s. It has recently been fully restored, and there is a nice large lawn on the side facing Walnut street, which is a nice place to sit and eat lunch, under the trees. There are often re-enactors wandering about, which is nice for the kids.
  • The Liberty Bell Pavilion: Market Street, between 5th and 6th.
    Home to the Liberty Bell.
  • Carpenter's Hall: 320 Chestnut, between 3rd and 4th.
    Sight of the First Continental Congress; nice little building.
  • Mother Bethel Church: 6th and Lombard Sts.
    Present church errected 1890. Birthplace of the AME Church and first house of worship 1791. The present structure is a wonderful piece of architechture.
  • Franklin Court: South Side of Market Street, between 3rd and 4th.
    site of Benjamine Franklin's home and print shop, it also has a post office (even open on Sundays), and a museum. Actually, it's a pretty fun place to visit and see the archeological digs which took place.
  • Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church: Christian Street and Delaware Avenue.
    Very early building in Philadephia, the original settlements dating to the Swedish presence which predated the coming of William Penn. The current structure dates from 1699.
  • Friends' Meeting House: Arch Street, between 3rd and 4th.
    Quaker house of worship dating to 1804.

And now for things of a not-exactly historic nature:

  • Anthony's: Good bar on Market, between 2nd and 3rd.
  • The Continental: Bar/resturant lounge on the corner of Market and 2nd.
  • Second Street: lots of galleries and restaurants open for First Friday.
  • Ritz Five Theater: Philly's art house for all your indie movie needs.

I don't suggest:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.