Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Apollo
Model Number: AP2006
Rarity: 3 Uncommon
Year of Release: 1981
Programmer: Uncredited

Guide Secret Agent Man on the mission of his life. Sneak into the compound, get the documents, and escape to safety. It is a race for your life in Elevator Action, no wait, I mean "Infiltrate" for the Atari 2600.

This is the game that the arcade hit Elevator Action was probably based on. Move your little secret agent around on a multi level screen. Use elevators to escape your enemies. Shoot them when needed. To complete each level you must get a document from both the top and bottom floor, and then escape into the door.

The graphics have a definite "Imagic" feel to them, with blatant overuse of different colors without any real detail. For example, the walls of each level feature a dozen different colors, while the main character only has a single color (blue) that he shares with one of the walls. This style of graphics made for a colorful game, but infortunately it ages very poorly. It seems that the developers spent more time making sure that they used the entire color palette on each screen than they did in trying to make the graphics attractive to the player (8 walls that look identical but are colored differently does not accomplish anything, those colors would have been better spent in adding some sort of detail to something that actually moves).

This isn't a bad game. But it was done better in the arcades. The difficulty ramps up very quickly after the first few levels. Making this game frustrating to play for long periods of time.

From the manual

You are a secret agent on a mission of crucial importance. Your mission is to infiltrate a top-secret fortress. You must capture enemy documents and get out alive. Your challenge: the diabolical maze of corridors and elevators designed to confuse you and keep you from the documents. Your danger: enemy assassins programmed to shoot on sight. Your weapon: a high-power laser gun as powerful as that of the enemy. Your advantage: you're sharp enough to duck when they shoot. It's a hectic chase. Hop an elevator. Survive enemy fire. Fire back. Duck. Infiltrate...if you dare!

Collectors Information

Apollo really ripped off the Atari look and feel with the box to this title. The box featured several related realistic images of futuristic secret agents in action that were all blended together in classic movie poster style.

This cartridge was available with 2 different labels, one red and one blue. Both are equally common. I would estimate the value of this game at $5 USD, and of course games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

In*fil"trate (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Infiltrated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Infiltrating (?).] [Pref. in- + filtrate: cf. F, s'infiltrer. Cf. Infilter.]

To enter by penetrating the pores or interstices of a substance; to filter into or through something.

The water infiltrates through the porous rock. Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*fil"trate, v. t.

To penetrate gradually; -- sometimes used reflexively.

J. S. Mill.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.