Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations (IDIC) is a Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek that is somewhat representative of the entire Star Trek ideal. Designed by the late Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry, the IDIC symbol was worn by Spock in the TOS episode, "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations represents a Vulcan belief that beauty, growth, and progress all result from the union of the unlike. Because concord, as much as discord, requires the presence of at least two different notes, diversity is good. The brotherhood of man is an ideal based on learning to delight in our essential differences, as well as learning to recognize our similarities.

The IDIC symbol is the union of a plain circle and triangle, uniting to produce the gemstone in the middle. The circle represents infinite, nature, woman, etc; the triangle can represent the finite, art, man, etc.

Of course, the universe is likely finite. Oh well.

IDIC is a concept. This idea originally sprang from a Star Trek poster, a book, and some creativity. Presuming that the Universe is infinite in size, and has an infinite amount of matter:

  1. There will be an infinite number of planets.
  2. Since there is an infinite number of planets, even through the probability of having a planet exactly like this one is extremly improbable, it will occur eventually.
  3. Since there is a planet exactly like this one, in an infinite number of possibilities there must be an infinite number of planets just like this one, at this exact moment.
  4. Since there is an infinite number of planets just like this one, anything that is possible, even with the most improbable possibility on this planet, will occur an infinite number of times on some portion of the infinite number of planets.
  5. The smallest probability possible is a fraction with a denominator increasing to infinity. Therefore, the least likely thing has a 1 in infinite probabilty of happening.
  6. Since there are an infinite number of planets exactly like ours, and the smallest probability is 1 in infinite, anything is possible.

So if you're ever having a rough day and wish that it would end in a firey death for everyone around you.. be happy, it happened for someone on some distant planet! Maybe it could be you next.

The universe is not, as presumed above, infinite. The universe is finite .

The problem with Science Fiction is that people confuse it with reality. IDIC is a beautiful plot device, and an awesome concept. Flying, fire-breathing dragons are also cool, but they too cannot exist.

Even if the universe was infinite, the chances of you being anywhere near the improbable stuff when it happens would be, well, infinitesimal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.